Topic

Day hikes near Traverse City, MI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Day hikes near Traverse City, MI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

Locale: PNW

Hey all!

I'm going to torch lake MI (near traverse city) for a week and wanted to know if anyone around traverse city could recommend some high quality day hikes. possibly an over night. I want to see the best the area has to offer, thats not too packed with people. Will be a midweek hike most likely.

I have heard the sleeping bear dunes are nice, but cant find any hiking info, if there is any.

Thanks for any ideas!

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

looks to be the best thing to do is do a segment of the north country trail. There is a loop called jordan river valley that seems to be pretty decent. anyone have any word on the hiking there?

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2
    lynda schroeder

@lyndasch15

Platt plains is part of Sleeping Bear Dunes. You register at Platt river campground. Its one of those hikes that you can make as long or short as you would like.

Another (better) hike is North Manitou Island. You get the boat in Leeland, also part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Call ahead and order sandwiches from the Cheese Shop, and pick them up before you get on the boat.(yum) Follow the Rangers rules to the letter so you don't have any trouble with them. Plan on at least two days, and pack extra food in case of rough seas and the boat can't get to the island.

lynda schroeder

@lyndasch15

I would list them best, North Manitou did once not as convienent, but very pretty not very challenging.

Jordan river have done countless times, because of location. Also a very pretty hike, more challenging.

Platte plains nice scenery not to difficult.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

+1 on Jordan River Pathway. Your closest bet to Torch. Good brown and brookie fishing if you are inclined. An aggressive 1 day loop, leisurely 2 days.

The Manistee River Trail is very nice, a little busy, especially on weekends. You can make an aggressive one day loop by crossing the river to the west side to pick up the North Country Trail. The loop would make a leisurely 2 day trip.

North or South Manitou are good but ferries leave the dock at 10am with 1.5 and 2 hour trips respectively. Catching the ferries back means checking in early if there are northerly or easterly winds, so if time is tight these can be a little dicey. N. Manitou is larger and less developed but I really like S. Manitou. You can swim to the shipwreck on a calm day, the old growth cedars are awesome and the western 200 ft dunes offer magnificent 360 views. Watch the poison ivy on both.

Pictured Rocks in the UP are great but probably a stretch distance-wise.

Pigeon River State Forest has some gems but wouldn't recommend if you haven't been before. You will be stuck on the trails which are not your best options. However, elk and some great (semi-secret) brookie spots are highlights. Going off trail however is a challenge due to massive swamps. You would definitely need topos and good map/compass skills.

Good hiking

Paul

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Mosquitoes were inSANE on No. Manitou a couple of weekends ago, so don't skimp on your bug protection if you choose that one.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Joseph,

I sent an email to my buddy in Traverse City and here were his suggestions:

Sure, lots of possibilities here. Torch Lake is in my back yard.

I think someone already recommended the North Country Trail, though that's pretty darn long. We like the section between Morrilla Road and Tippy Dam, about 12 miles. Love it on MTBs, but always lots of hikers in there too.

Here's my Trimble Outdoors map of that section, and the road loop back. http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/751783

Also Glen Arbor, Michigan is home to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. A must see attraction here with over 25 miles of rolling lakeside sand dunes and intermittent trails. Oh, but the beaches!!!!

Not far from Torch Lake is the Vasa Trail. It's a gorgeous stretch of forest broken up by a couple of power lines. Google Map

Sorry nothing quite like your mountains out there. Feel free to share my email with the guy, and tell him to give me a shout.

Cheers,

B.

Joe O’Toole
    BPL Member

@joe_otoole01

wow! I love this forum.

plenty to go on! thanks a bunch. I may try and check out a couple places since there is so much to do, and I'll try to post pictures and a little trip report after the trip.

thanks again!

-joe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools