Topic

child down sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) child down sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Searching for a down sleeping bag i was looking at "elephants foot" solution like Nunatak or Triple Zero ones.
    I just found a company that does both, the down quality is lower but thats the first decent kid sleeping bag i find.

http://www.sirjoseph.cz/produkty/kiki-down.htm

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

what about using a nice down jacket depending on size of child.

also check these guys out…they posted in gear deals. They make a pretty good looking kids bag.

http://enlightenedequipment.com/

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I could also make a Protege style quilt in down if that's what you wanted. I only offer kid's sizing in synthetic right now because it is more forgiving to being wet which with kids can happen about a million different ways. But if you wanted one in down just let me know and i'd be willing to talk about it for sure.

-Tim

enLIGHTenedequipment.com

Charlie Schaezlein

@cschaez

Locale: Orange County

Western Mountaineering tamarack maybe?
    Depends on size of the kid (it only comes in 5'), but hoodless, 19 oz, rated to +30F

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I assume the down is removed from the children without harming them?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Before you commit to down, ask 2 things:
    How old is the child
    How hard on gear is the child

Synthetics for younger kids is many times preferable – you can wash them easily. All you need is one bed wetting to learn that. And young kids are notoriously dirty as well.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

My daughters have assumed ownership of two GoLite Ultra 20s. They have used them constantly for the past two years both at home and on camping trips. Still in amazing condition. A GoLite Ultra 20 short.

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

yeah i would agree with the others…i think Synth for a kids is better…i know with my kid it is :)

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

:)

to give more details i plan to have 2 sleeping bags or quilts

a synthetic quilt for temperature down to about 7-8°C, that he would use most of the time
    and a down one for below 0°C, maybe à real -5°C comfort

for the first one i was hesitating between the myog way or being lazy and ordering one ( Tim i had your Protege in mind already..when are you getting Apex ???)
    i have a few other projects like a nanoseeum + 1.1 silnylon myog inner for my wife + child + i in a shangri la 5, as i did for my paratipi, so i wont do them all.

the second one is for winter hiking or for example a trip i plan for next year : returning to Iceland, to do some short hikes, see whales , hot springs etc…

for this one Tim i am interested by your offer and ill get in touch with you.

Frederic

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

APEX is out for me right now. I am a very small operation and can't order 1,000 yd rolls of materials so i am limited to what i can get from suppliers like OWFinc and Thru-Hiker. So once they get APEX i'll use it but until then i am in the same boat as everyone else.

The performance gain of APEX over XP isn't so much that it makes XP obsolete. 5oz of XP is good for my kid in any temps i take her out in. Normally it is a little hot but she is great at kicking it off.

Just let me know about a down one and we can figure out the details.

-Tim

P.S.
    MYOG is a great route for a synthetic quilt. If you go that way feel free to contact me with any questions about construction.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools