Topic

Uses for silk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Uses for silk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Fry
    BPL Member

@davidfry

There has been some discussion on this form about silk used in ultralight gear like hammock casing for down baffles in a down air mat and quilts. With silk as light as .57 oz (or some thing like that) I can see why it would appeal to the ultralight hikers. What are some other things that silk might be used for? How does it perform as clothing? Would it make a good base layer and how would it compare to more popular base layer fabrics? What are some of its advantages and limitations?

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Silk is a comfortable base layer for me although I’ve yet to try it on extended trips. It packs small and dosen’t every layer counts as a layer? I have tanks and long sleeve crews. It is cheaper to buy at or just after Christmastime. Perspiration is devistating for silk and it should be washed/rinsed daily to maximize its life. It is sheer, but as a girl, that appeals to me.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I sleep every night in an REI silk long sleeve crew and bottom. I love it, but have never used it on an outing. There is a lot of discussion about wool and synthetics as a base layer, but nothing in depth I’ve seen about silk. Silk seems to have the same anti-stink qualities as my wool base layers. I would guess that it dries faster than wool. My large silk long sleeve crew weighs 4.1 oz, so it is certainly lighter than wool and probably Capilene. I don’t have any Capilene to compare it with. It is something I will have to experiment with.

Paul Kaercher

@paulkaercher

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

1- I use silk gauze as a bug net for my hammock.
    2- I have made shoulder straps for my pack frame out of 8mm silk and closed cell foam. Very light, comfortable, and strong.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools