Topic

Eastern Mountain Sports Ascent Sector Down Sweater Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Eastern Mountain Sports Ascent Sector Down Sweater Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Excellent review, as usual! ;-)

I own this sweater and I love it. In fact it was an even better deal than listed, since I picked up the last one on the sidewalk rack, an XL, at my local EMS store in April at the very end of their winter sale – for $99 – an unbelievable deal. At the time I was thinking it was a bit big but I figured at the price I'd get it anyway. Turns out it is really nice to have it a little bigger, since I can throw it over anything I'm wearing.

Anyway, a great jacket and an even sweeter deal.

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I just bought one of these, based on this review. They are currently on sale for $109 at EMS.

Matthew DePan

@jethro277

Locale: Upstate NY

Excellent review of an excellent jacket! One of my favorites! As an EMS employee it's good to see folks recognizing our products! EMS definitely has much to offer the lightweight hiker, especially for clothing.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

I just went to the EMS website to check out this jacket…and its not there. In fact, I don't see any down jackets at all on their site.

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Strange.

I can't find it either, and I bought one just a few days ago.

What's up with that?

Dan Montgomery

@thedanarchist

Locale: Hampton Roads, VA

I think the unavailability of this item is just bad luck and bad timing. I think EMS had the clearing out these sweaters (for $99!) even before the BPL review was posted. The EMS employees I talked to said they assume the stores will get a new batch of Ascent Sector sweaters.

I got lucky. Lightweight insulation was a weak spot in my kit, so I read the review, searched EMS, saw the sale and tried to order a Large, but I got a message saying that size was "temporarily unavailable." That, of course, made me REALLY want one. I e-mailed EMS to ask if "temporarily unavailable" meant "sold out" or "try again in a few minutes." I got a prompt response the message means "sold out" and suggesting I call their customer service number to see if any of the brick and mortar stores still had my size. Which I did. A nice young lady thought she found one, but when she called the store — no luck. Oh well. Five minutes later, she called back. A store employee had found the sweater in the back room.
    Buying from a store, I didn't get the web site's free-shipping deal, but hey, it's lightweight and pretty cheap to ship!
    It arrived yesterday. Seems to fit well (I'm just under 6'3"). Like I said. I feel like I got lucky.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Sometimes EMS has been known to outdo itself. In the case of this sweater, that is certainly the case. Come Febuary 2010, I could not get a second one in my size (medium.) It is way under rated. And an excelent deal for the origonal price, in my book. Warmer and much more water resistant than I expected. The kittys backside for sleeping in or extending a lighter bag. If you can find one, get it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools