Topic

Drink Powder Re-Packaging

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Drink Powder Re-Packaging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Any one have a good trick for re-packaging powdered drink mixes (Hydrolite, Gatorade, etc)?

I’ve always used snack sized Ziplocs, but I know more creative minds have come up with a much better alternative… please share.

Thanks!

Patrick Baker

@wildman

Snack sized Ziplocs work for me.
    Mine current stock weighs 2 grams each.

My BPL 2×3 ziplocs weigh 1 gram each but do not hold enough drink powder.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

If you want a sugar-free (almost) drink that, I think, fits in the smallest ziplocks try this:

1 quart water
    1/2 packet unsweetened koolaid
    1/4 tsp mortons lite salt
    6 packets equal (about 1 g sugar per packet)

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Drink crystal lite or similar–and insert it in a plastic straw with a funnel. Seal one side with the heat of a match, fold the other side over and secure with a paperclip.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Crazy Petes got the right idea. I had another idea come to mind that I just have to share. Some may wish I hadn’t shared. I haven’t tried this, but wouldn’t a condom work? It is certainly multi-use. I think the Air Force still issues them as part of the survival kit, for those whose minds immediately went another direction. And for those whose minds are still there, be sure to wash out the blue Koolaide. A blue tongue is bad enough ;). Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Crystal Light now comes in smallish tubes instead of the tub. Much smaller than those tubs and takes up almost no space.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

One of my hiking buds has a nifty packaging for powdered Gatorade. He stores it in a quart sized Platy bladder. It’s heavier than a Ziploc but much more puncture resistant and actually easier to pour.

William Wright

@farstar

Ken,

The tubes of Crystal Light have eliminated my need to repackage drink mixes. One tube containing, depending on the flavor, about 1 or 2 grams of product (I don’t know what the packaging weighs, but it can’t be much) makes a quart. There’s a good selection of flavors now.

Another, bit heavier and more expensive, option is Emergen-C packets by Alacer. About 3 to 9 grams (again, without packaging and depending on flavor) makes only a 6-oz drink, but it’s tasty and fizzy–a nice change of pace. The heavier versions of Emergen-C contain sugar–not much, though.

Andrew Hedges

@alhedges

Yeah, I’m a big fan of the crystal light packets (I think they’re called “Crystal Light On The Go”). IIRC, they make a half liter (16.9 oz); there’s a half liter platypus bag that I use for mixing.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Both Target and Walmart make their own versions of CL To Go. Cheaper, and they have even more flavors :-)
    Walmart is also selling sport drinkes in the same type of tubes now.

William Wright

@farstar

Andrew,

You’re correct on both the name and the volume–it’s 1 pint (0.5 liter). And the little tubes do make for easy transfer into narrow-necked containers. I spotted two new flavors I hadn’t seen before and picked them up. Good stuff.

Thanks,

Bill

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Find a cigar smoker and beg some of those trick aluminum tubes that some cigars come in– way cool for stuff like powered drink mix, sugar, etc.

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Plastic Test Tubes with caps. Lightweight, colorful, and cheap!

http://www.testtubesonline.com/6_inch_16x150_mm_Polypropylene_Plastic_Tubes_p/207-0014.htm

…a close second to Dale’s suggestion of polished aluminum cigar case…CLASSY!

Tom Wheless
    Spectator

@towheless

I’ve been thinking about using one of those vacuum-sealers such as the Tilia Foodsaver (www.tilia.com) which almost everyone seems to sell.

If you make a long slender package, say 1 inch by 4 inches, with one end open you should be able to put in a couple of tablespoons and then vacuum-seal it. I would use a funnel or something to put the powder in to keep it off the end of the plastic where the seal will go. Note that I haven’t tried this out myself yet, just been thinking about it.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

One problem you may have is the powder being sucked into the machine whan vacume packing it

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I am hooked on those CL-on-the-Go tubes. I know they are sized for 1/2 liter, but I use one per liter. Yes it is a bit thinner, but its still good and it makes it easy when tracking your water intake; one empty tube = one liter drank.

I like the Emer’gen-C drinks and use them like a hot tea drink in the morning and at night. IMHO the Black Cherry is the best followed by the Tangarine. The Lemon-Lime (yuck) is nothing like Gatorade so don’t be fooled.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I do the same too Mike.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

CrazyPetes idea wasn’t bad. Instead of sealing one end of the drinking straw (That contains your powder) with heat or a paperclip as suggested, cut off two one inch lengths from the straw. Then fold one end of the straw over and place the one inch section over it to keep the fold inplace. Fill the straw with your powder then fold over the other end and seal with the other one inch section.

I picked this tip up from a friend and have used it to carry spices and that type of thing. Obviously how much powder, spice, salt you can carry depends on the width and length of the straw you use.

Tom Wheless
    Spectator

@towheless

Here are some pictures I made of some experiments I did this weekend using a vacuum sealer to repackage some of the electrolyte drink mix I use (Gookinaid Hydralyte).Figure1
    Figure 1 is the tube of vacuum sealer I made, 2 inches across (1.5 inches between seams) and 6 inches long).Figure 2
    Figure 2 shows a cutoff funnel I used to insert the powder to prevent from coating the inside where the seam will be.Figure 3
    Figure 3 shows the sealed tube with powder. I was able to get two heaping tablespoons full in there, enough to make 16 ounces of the electrolyte drink. The arrow drawing in black marker shows where a notch is cut on the outside of the package to allow it to be opened without having to use a knife.Figure 4
    Figure 4 is a closeup of the notch with the edges touched up with black marker to make it more visible. I’ve used this technique before to allow easier opening in the field without having to use a knife. It works well.

Tom

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Great idea. I have a food vacum sealer and never thought of that!

Carol Green

@naturegal

I use baby bottle liners to pack small powders, spices, etcc. You can cut them to size, use twist tie to seal or vacuum sealer. Liners come 100/box, cost works out to roughly 2 cents each.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Depending on your total volume, and the weight of all the little packaging bits, a platypus bottle with a pop-top works really well for powder storage. I’ve even used a 2L bottle for Accelerade powder storage on a long walk. Then, just pop the top, squirt in your water bottle, pop back. No mess. The weight of the bottle (2L) is only 1.3 oz or so, and it holds a LOT of powdered drink. The convenience is unbeatable.

Also useful for things like butter/ghee, nut butters, and oils. For butters, you need to go to the regular cap if temperatures are colder.

evan parsons

@freestyleparsons

Locale: Dowtown LA

I drink about 4 e’mergencies a day, on or off the trail. It seems to be the best answer for its nutritional reasons and hot/cold/luke-warm consumability. Compact durable packets. very light weight. I mix one packet per 6 ounces H2O. and contrary to previous comments, I love the lemon-lime. I have debated the flavor topic with many a folk, trekkers and city folk alike, it seems everybody favors a different flavor.

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

4 Packets of EmergenC a day is going to have a diuretic effect. Nobody needs/uses that much ascorbic acid (45X the USDAAI for the average male, 54X female). It isn’t toxic, you just don’t need it so you pee more.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools