Topic

36 liter pack for 1200 miles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion 36 liter pack for 1200 miles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chance A
    BPL Member

@chancea

This past summer I hiked the TRT in 7 days with a 32 liter pack. The only time I resupplied was in Tahoe on the 4th day, and I still had food left over from my initial stock. I plan to hike the PNT in the summer, and I’m wondering if anyone thinks I can get away with using a Gossamer Gear Pilgrim 36. The base weight of my pack is usually around 8 pounds. Is there enough room in the Pilgrim to make it between towns?

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

I’m at the same base weight, but have yet to crush miles like that. I’m amazed at people who can do that.

Lawrence A
    BPL Member

@rbps8

25-30mpd isn’t difficult at all, I was able to do that regularly with a fully loaded Catalyst.

Anyway, for the PNT, I haven’t done it but it wouldn’t surprise me if there were some long stretches without water. Either way, there’s plenty of people who hike the CDT with a Burn or a Kumo and seem to do just fine.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Detachable side pockets is one way to temporarily increase your pack volume for stretches where you need to carry water in collapsable containers like Platypus “bottles”.

A few pack makers still offer these aftermarket side pockets.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools