Topic

Ultimate Cord/Guylines?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultimate Cord/Guylines?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've been wondering if pure dyneema braided fishing line would be the ultimate for light weight guylines/cord since it's cheap, unbelievable light and reasonable strong.

On eBay you can get braided dyneema/spectra fishing line in a variety of weights, but 100lb test might be the sweet spot. You can buy a 100 meter (330 ft) roll of it for $6 Buy It Now with free shipping. At 1/45" thick and with a breaking strength of 100 lbs it seems adequately strong for guylines. Compare this to BPL 'Aircord 1' which is 1/25" thick spectra with a breaking strength of 216 lbs and a cost of $17 for 50 feet. Aircord 1 is 0.004oz (or .11g) per foot and this cord would likely be no more than half of that. Honestly, there wouldn't be much of a weight savings over AirCord 1, but it is lighter and this stuff is a lot cheaper plus it might be more visible due to the apparently bright colors.

It also comes in a range of colors including bright yellow. Just search 'spectra fishing 100lb' on eBay.

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTRA-PE-DYNEEMA-BRAID-FISHING-LINE-100LB-100M-SY-/320573149702?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Spectra 1

Spectra 2

What do you guys think? It might be slightly annoying to handle because it's so thin? I think it would be fine for applications where you aren't regularly tying knots. It would definitely be too thin for bear bagging. For $6 you could replace every guyline and drawstring in your kit.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I've got stuff like that, and I have used it a fair bit. It works very well, but making some sort of adjustment (knot or toggle) is hard.

But then, I have had great joy with fixed-length guy ropes of this stuff, and just move the stake. Lighter than having toggles of any sort.

Cheers

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

I just bought a spool of the 100lb line.

I paid $7.99 w/free shipping.

I want to compare it to the line sold in the guide line kits via BPL, which I just pick up too.

Looks like it would be great cord for stuff sacks, as well.

Z.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Just an FYI: Any knots you tie in that cord are going to reduce it's breaking strength significantly, from like 30-70% depending on the knot. It's probably not a problem though, since the actual breaking strength could easily be 3x the 100lb rating depending on how conservative the manufacturer is.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I personally prefer my Kelty Triptease. For my guy lines and ridgeline on my tarp, I like to have the reflectiveness, especially for those middle of the nights, groggy constitutionals.

It is pretty thin as reflective cord goes (1.75mm I believe)has a pretty good breaking strength and weighs less than an ounce for 50'.

Only downside is it is pretty expensive at usually ~$15/50' of line… but worth it IMHO. If there are other reflective cords out there with the same specs that anyone knows of and is cheaper I'd certainly be open to it.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

1.6mm spectra weighs ~0.5oz for 50 feet, so I would expect this 0.55mm stuff to weigh .1-.2 oz for 50 feet. Perhaps there is something you could do to it to make it more visible like give it a quick spray with reflective or glow in the dark paint. I dunno if this would last or not.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

not sure how knots would hold with the fishing line but i like to use prussic loops on the end of my guylines anyway. you eliminate knots and have great flexibility in adjusting your lines

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

"not sure how knots would hold with the fishing line but i like to use prussic loops on the end of my guylines anyway."

Have you tried this with a thin spectra line? I tried it with other tension-adjusting knots and found that while it would tighten the lines, it'd slip with little provocation.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like TarpTent's answer. They use Kelty Triptease reflective lines W/ their own very light and very reliable plastic tensioners.

The weight difference between the Spectra 100# test braided fishing line and Triptease's ease of use/reflectivity can't be enough to get me to go with the fishing line. Getting even TT's excellent plastic tensioners to work with the slippery fishing line may be difficult.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Triptease = 0.82g per foot
    1/25" Spectra (AirCord 1) = 0.11g/foot
    100lbs Test Spectra Fishing Line = estimated 0.04g/foot

Shelters really vary, but if yours uses quite a bit of guyline then there is going to be a significant weight difference. 50 feet of TripTease is 41g (1.45oz) whereas 50 feet of 100 lbs Test would be just 2g or under 0.1oz. If you want something that will work with your tensioners than Aircord 1 from BPL should work and still would weigh only ~6g instead of 41g.

I will still use thicker cord on key shelter guyouts that I want to retain the ability to adjust the tension but I think the fishing line will be perfect for secondary stake out points where you don't need adjustability.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I have been quite happy with my braided Spectra/Dyneema (UHMWPE) fishing line guylines. Whoopie slings (with a longish pass-through) work perfectly for length adjustment. Several companies make 16-strand braids for saltwater fishing that splice easily and make very secure whoopie slings. The more common 12-strand braids are cheaper and work fine, too.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Pretty much an easier to see version of trip tease. Knots tie/untie easily. Ok, so it's not as light as the other stuff mentioned, but when it comes to a few grams I don't get too worked up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools