Topic

Favorite Mid-Layer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Mid-Layer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I often use a North Face Impulse Hoodie, which unfortunately they make anymore. They still make the Impulse 1/2 zip (1/4 zip?) which is another similar option to the 1/4 zips mentioned above.

I also like the Mountain Hardwear Transition line of tops.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

depending on my mood i'll either rock a 100 weight fleece zip top, a light merino sweater (only if it's pretty cold), or the marmot driclime… all 3 work pretty well

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

light weight high loft insulated vest. Over the years this has been the original patagonia puff, montbell thermwrap vest, and now a western mountaineering flash vest. None of them come out until it's below 30F when hiking, but they are using in warmer conditions when I am stopped.

When I am moving it's typically just a base, or base + shell. Used to be supplex shirt until it was below 50F, and then you would typically find me in a featherweight powerdry base + windshirt.

When it's 30F or less most often you will find me with a Patagonia R1 hoody + Rab Alpine Shell with a high loft vest or jacket that gets layered over when I stop.

–Mark

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I find that midlayers are only good for light activity, such as camp chores, etc… & of course for added warmth under the primary insulation layer. Otherwise they're just too warm. While we all develop our personal preferences & priorities, I "budget" a proportionately high number of ounces toward my midlayer. It tends to be the "warm fuzzy" feelin' thing I wear around camp, at night, at rest stops, etc.

Having worn the powerstretches, cap 4s & 100wts, driclimes, & others I've finally settled on 250-350-ish g/m2 merino, preferably in a hoody. It's a much more adaptive layer than a synthetic insulated piece, allows me more flexibility & a great range of comfort. I've been using a Patagonia wool 4 hoody; mine weighs something like 13.5 ounces. I have similar hoodies from Ibex & Icebreaker that are a little heavier, but still in a reasonable range for my tastes.

As part of the above "defining layers" discussion, the piece I put on & pretty much don't take off until done is my baselayer. My midlayer is described above. Then I carry the insulation layer, which right now is a ~5oz down vest. Top it all off w/a hard shell. That combo'll take me through any 3-season stuff, happily.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools