Topic

But will it make you happy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique But will it make you happy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

The current number one article at the New York Times seems to support ideas that are right at home at BPL -that experiences matter more than stuff (although cleaning out the gear closet has it's place). http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/business/08consume.html?hpw

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks for sharing the link

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

does having more experience result in less dependence on stuff? my kit list is based on previous failures and sometimes successes, but mostly failures. i have watched the evolution of a few newbies over the past year and as they gain experience and confidence outdoors, their pack contents have dwindled considerably. they realize the likelihood of situation X happening is remote if they plan properly and don't take risks that outweigh the benefits.

in the article, i found the comment that they were no longer 30k in debt telling. at what price does all the "stuff" of modernity come. i think of how my grandparents lived into the 1940's – in a single room log cabin with 3 children.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools