Topic

Tell me about your gear lists w/ Jam pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tell me about your gear lists w/ Jam pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Burns

@ledcactusyahoo-com

Locale: Cascades / Olympics (WET)

Im wondering what people are packing in their jams, how many days they have packed for, and most importantly how you pack stuff in it for the best fit. Ive got a Jam in med.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Hi Robert,
    Have the same size Jam and have made this my standard weekend pack, would also use on 3 season extended trips. To support the frame I use a 3/4 sleep pad folded into quarters and that seems to fit perfectly against the back of the pack. Next will put sleeping bag then tarp & Tyvek ground cloth ontop of it, then start filling with clothing & cup for cooking, finally putting food & raingear in last. The remainder of gear (ditty bag with minor first aid kit, headlamp,lighter, bear bagging line, tarp stakes, Esbit stove, spoon, etc. into the front pocket along with hat and liner gloves.
    Hope this helps
    Jim

John Davis

@jndavis

Locale: Isle of Man

Robert,

My longest trip was 9 days and I used what gear I had, rather than anything approaching an ideal. Most extravagant were the OS 1:25,000 maps. These are big and heavy, even with the covers off and despite being double-sided. No one really needs that much navigational precision but I like looking at them. I had four inside the pack and the current one in the pocket or in an inverted poly bag in my hand.

Other items included a RAB Quantum 200, a Cave 1, a small, light Thermarest, the footprint from an Akto to keep mud off everything else, a Kathmandu 2×2 bivy bag, a mini Trangia set, Lexan fork and spoon, flint and small Swiss Army knife, Silva compass, Field and Trek carbon poles, fuel bottle in one mesh pocket and water bottle in the other. This trip at Easter 2005 brought some very challenging and varied conditions but I never once regretted taking the Jam with a tarp instead of a tent.

I often mountain bike with the Jam and have gone out overnight with the bicycle. I left out waterproofs and added a spare inner tube and a multitool. This was such fun, I can’t think why I have not done it again. Many days of proper cycle touring in France probably took away the need.

Brett Marl
    Spectator

@brettmarl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use the Jam, and love it. Typically trips are 3-6 days.

You can see my full list of everything in my Jam at:

http://www.brettonstuff.com

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I really like the Jam too. It’s not the lightest pack out there, but it strikes a nice balance of lightness and durability. The fabric is great.

The pack is very comfortable and carries well with weights under 20lbs.

I lightened mine by cutting the excess length of the straps, removing extra daisy chain loops, removing the ice axe loop and top holder (on one side, I kept the loop on the other side), removing the inside hydration bladder holder and the foam pad. This got the weight down to 18 oz (size M). I still used a 2L hydration bladder but put it in one of the outside pockets. It worked really well at that location. If I was handy sewing I’d shorten the extension collar, as I never need it.

I used it recently and had about 10 lbs base wt inside it:

Thermarest Prolite 3S folded in thirds along the back, down quilt in the bottom, then sleep clothes and insulated jacket, shelter (six moon designs lunar solo), cookset and misc items, then a couple of days of food on top. In the front pocket I put my windshirt, gloves, headnet, and food I’ll eat during the day.

Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools