Topic

Blisters:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

We had numerous blisters in our recent 75 mile trek, seeing several different solutions, including:

“Blister Strips”
    Pop, tape and go
    Just tape
    Pop and superglue
    Moleskin around the blister
    Moleskin on the blister

While prevention is clearly best, I’m curious what most people do for them, after the fact, or if there is any learned advice or direction?

Thanks,
    MikeB

Andrew Hedges

@alhedges

For hotspots and maybe minor blisters, duct tape. I’ve never had anything more than a minor blister. And since I began hiking in trail running shoes, I haven’t even had a hotspot.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Check out the Injinji Toesocks thread on “The G Spot” forum category.

Patrick Baker

@wildman

There is a book out called …

Fixing your Feet

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

It’s reviewed and sold on this site.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

As you review Fixing Your Feet, you’ll realize that there are 100 solutions for 100 people.

When I have to treat blisters, I pop them with a sterile needle, drain them, fill them with superglue, coat the entire area with tincture of benzoin, and tape over them leukotape. When I’m in a hurry, draining and superglue alone are usually sufficient.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Ryan, what do you mean when you say “fill them with superglue”? Are you just sealing the puncture hole from the needle, or are you actually filling the void under the loose skin? Another option is that you removed the loose skin and you are filling the depression that is left with superglue.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Eric – I’m inserting the glue container tip into the hole at the side of the blister (the hole I made with the needle) and inserting a drop of glue, then massaging the loose blister skin into the intact skin to create the bond.

Warning: it stings. Bad. Leather strap grade stinging. But that’s about the only and last time you’ll ever have to deal with that blister again.

I have no idea what the health ramifications are of this, so use at your own risk.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks for the clarification, Ryan. This leads me to one more question. Is the superglue now a part of you, like a tattoo, or does the top of the blister eventually flake off? I guess the short version of this question is, how does it heal?

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

I would imagine the superglue eventually sheds as new skin grows and dies under it…

I’d be worried about infection with the superglue injection…

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Superglue gives off lots of cyanide as it cures. Nasty stuff. I sure wouldn’t put it in a blister.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

My understanding was cyanide may be present in the mfg. of superglue, there was little to -0- cyanide in superglue as it’s distributed (http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/glue/ts37instantglue/ts37instantglue.html),

It has also been approved by the FDA for brain surgery, and Johnson and Johnson sells a superglue based band aid swab that works really well.

I’ve used it to seal the top of a blister closed, (in the original post above, but not squeezed in as Ryan indicates) and felt it worked better, and with less pain than other methods.

MikeB

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I use leukopore or Kinesio tape–Leukopore sticks really well (I had someone familiar with it complain that “it would never come off” at Western States when I was medical captain this year) even without benzoin. Kinesio stretches in one direction but not the other which makes it fit well over curved body parts like heels. Get the waterproof version of either tape.

Duct tape doesn’t breathe and doesn’t stick nearly as well. I’ve stopped using it.

Chad McClenathen

@cmcclenathen

Okay folks. I just went to my local pharmacy and they had no idea what leukotape was and did not sell tincture of benzoin. Where do you get this stuff? Thanks.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Chad – Tincture of benzoin is available at most drug stores and rei.com. Leukotape is available at <http://www.wisdomking.com/line.asp?n=p12127&cc=2&swords=lkt1&gt;.

Kevin – Is the product listed in this link the right stuff? It doesn’t make mention of a waterproof option.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

My Dentist said there are special superglues for
    wounds and dentisty. My wife once replaced a
    broken tooth patch with standard superglue and
    the Dentist said the cyanide in it will kill the tooth
    root, making things much worse.

Both MD’s I ski with carry some form of superglue
    for would closures in the backcountry.

jeff woods

@jeffwoods55

if you use superglu and then tape it, you’d best be prepared to leave the blister alone for a while. if you try to remove the tape, you’ll likely rip your skin right off your foot and leave an ugly wound

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools