Topic

John Muir Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists John Muir Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

Heading up and out of Vermillion resort in a couple weeks for a week long trip at 9,000-10,000 feet with my family. Need some advice on clothing, particularly for the kids.

For uper layers, planning:
    Wicking tshirts
    Mid-weight thermals (Capilene)
    Down vests (mom and dad)
    Rain jackets
    Gloves
    fleece hats

Are Mom and Dad going to be warm enough with down vests as opposed to down jackets? Currently, kids haver fleece jackets and I'm having a bad time finding any quality down jackets or vests for them. Suggestions?

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

I was in that area a few weeks ago, and I had no need for a down jacket. In the evening in camp, I usually wore a long-sleeve synthetic shirt with a lightweight wool sweater over it, and I was fine. I would concentrate more on the sleep arrangements than on what to wear while awake. Also make sure you have some kind of plan in case you get a storm that's more than the typical dinky afternoon Sierra shower.

I'm sure you'll enjoy VVR. It's a very laid-back place where you'll meet a lot of extremely cool people.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools