Topic

Where did I see that?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Where did I see that?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I saw a website where they used the ground cloth as the backpack. Ground cloth had straps on it, things were put in it, it was folded up, strapped up tight, and off they went.

Anyone know what that website is?

Dwight

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California
    Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Definitely an interesting idea. To see the concept in action watch the opening scenes in “Rob Roy” as Liam Neeson and his clan transition from hiking to camping to bedding down with their wool cloaks held in place with a single broach.
    HOOT MON! Manly men tossin’ the caber, gettin’ all sweaty, wooin’ the lasses, all while wearin’ a skirt and no briefs! ACH!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

The story is told of a clan leader who was demoted for patting up a “pillow” of snow when bivouacing with his raiding party. His men thought he was getting soft.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

who here will wear the ultralight kilt? Perhaps Cuben fiber?

J R

@ravenul

I often wear a kilt while hiking, and have a silnylon “rain kilt”…. but cuben seems to be a bit too transparent to go wearing “regimental”

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I use silk that is 0.57oz a sq yard. Almost as light weight as my Cuben. The silk come in white but can be dyed easy. You can buy silk dyed in some that weighs 1.02 oz a sq yard.

I made a “Great Kilt” but it turned out heavier than I would wear on a hike. I also made just the skirt style kilt out of some of the same material as the Great Kilt – Black Watch – Plaid that is light enough to wear as a hiking Kilt.

A Silk Kilt would be much more comfortable than a Cuben Kilt but I think the bugs would be more than I would want to fool with.

I might think about a Silk Kilt for my “Crazy Light” gear list.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I’ve been dreaming of a hiking kilt for a long time. It’s hard to imagine anything more breathable… and ‘everything’ gets a chance to breathe. What a perfect garment for hot muggy walking.

I have had a garded suspicion that Kilts will come into vogue amongst thru-hikers and ULers one of these days.

You heard it here first!

Brian

J R

@ravenul

Sportkilt.com sells a very basic kilt made up in their “PCT Tartan”. So popular it sold out faster than they can make them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Utilikilts have been Seattle fashion for years. We do prefer that the kilters walk in the end of the line going uphill.

http://www.utilikilts.com/

Brian James

@bjamesd

I’d seen the Utilikilts before (I’m a Vancouverite) but only at our gay pride parade. Being from the prairies and not knowing any better, I assumed that it was a gay fashion or bear fashion. Can anyone comment authoritatively? Apologies to anyone of whose culture I have been ignorant.

That sport kilt looks great! Thanks for the link.

Brian

J R

@ravenul

Im not sure what “bear fashion” is (unless you mean “Bear Kilts” which is based in Vancouver)… but kilts are definatly NOT “gay fashion” (whatever that is).

Many people wear them for the comfort (ease of movement/breathability/lack of fabric rubbing on certain “parts”). Many people wear them as a show of pride in heritage (either as Scots or by wearing the many state and national tartans designed for the wear of anyone). Many wear them as a means to self expression. Many wear them on the numerous Kilt/tartan/Scot/Irish holidays out there (St Patricks day is a big one).

Even if its not a true kilt, the wearing of unbifucated garments by men is by no means limited to Scotland. The rigid structure of “mean wear pants” is pretty much a Rennesance european convention. The common practice in many countries is for men to wear a wrapped peice of cloth around their waists. This cloth is worn in many different ways depending on culture, but everyone from ancient Egyptians, to classical Greeks, to Chinese emperors, to samurai, to the Iroquois, Cherokee and Hopi, to many modern day Polynesians, Indonesians, and Africans. All wore/wear some type of “skirt” as their daily or cerimonial dress.

I dont know if thats “authoritative”, but its certainly my take on the subject.

“A man in a kilt is a man and a half.”
    ~ Sir Colin Campbell, Brigadier-General
    The Queen’s 93rd ‘Sutherland’ Highlanders

Brian James

@bjamesd

I in no way meant to imply that all kilts are or could be simply a gay fashion trend.

I meant specifically the Utilikilts or Carpenter’s kilts that I had seen at the vancouver gay parade some years back when I went with my girlfriend. There were large groups of men all walking together and wearing that exact style of kilt: being naive I have wondered ever since if wearing such a garment would send an incorrect “signal” to a group I don’t know anything about. Which is why I asked. :)

Brian

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I bought a down smock from a company called Klattermusen. On their website they also had a hiking kilt available – 160gr size medium. I never tried it, so don’t know what it’s like but it is another option. The website is :

http://www.klattermusen.com

And the product is the McKilt.

J R

@ravenul

Brian

No problem. Just trying to answer your question.

J R

@ravenul

The McKilt is sort of in the same neighborhood as the Mountain Hardwear Kilt.

Decent idea, but poor execution. Too short, and the material combined with the cut make for a get-up thats more restrictive than a tight pair of jeans (in my opinion)

Once upon a time, Utilikilt offered their “survivor” model in Epic Nylon. They pulled it for durability concerns, but it was a good idea. Their current spartan kilt isnt too bad. SportKilts PCT tartan might not be bad if its made with a synthetic microfiber (not sure). Bear Kilts make good kilts for hiking (their Canadian tartans are pretty light. “Bear” tells me that a kilt made with that material in a 4 yard cut would weigh about 1lbs). Finally, a sarong made out of a synthetic fabric is very light, and can be worn MANY ways.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Wow; hiking in a Sarong. Awesome. You could configure it for heat, cold, sunshine, or sweating. You’d look like you were on a pilgrimmage to a holy place… like a Hindu Ascetic.

Now there’s ultralight for ya: a Sarong and bare feet, living off the donations of strangers as you travel. Total skin-out weight: 8 oz.

Beat that Ray Jardine! :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I remember going to the summit of Haleakala on Maui to watch the sun rise. As few tourists to Hawaii bring warm clothing, many take the blankets from their hotel room, so you see little groups of pastel pink, green or blue robed pilgrims making the way from the parking lot to the relative shelter of the observation platform.

On a morning when there are clouds below the summit, the sun rays skim across the clouds for a few minutes. It is awesome.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks for bring back some great memories Dale. The clouds where below us when we where there also. It was beautiful watching the wind drive the clouds over the rim of the crater. We hiked down into the crater. The hike out was deceptively difficult. I am from Colorado and was a little to cocky about the hike. The volcanic ash is like sand. I was humbled by the end. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Now there’s ultralight for ya: a Sarong and bare feet, living off the donations of strangers as you travel. Total skin-out weight: 8 oz.

Reminds me of one of the first articles I read at BackpackingLight when I first joined way back when.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools