Hey guys,
Long time listener, first time gear lister.
My brother and I will be traveling to Colorado (via Indiana) from the 19th-22nd of August. We plan to complete a relatively short loop through the Gore Range including Gore Lake, Snow Lake and Deluge Lake. This loop will be about 15 miles total. We selected a short loop for various reasons:
1) We are not sure how we will handle the altitude change
2) This will be our first time Colorado, so we really want to soak in the scenery
A writeup of the same trip can be found here:
http://www.gorerange.info/category/south/
Anyway, here is the list.
I'm mainly concerned with the clothing. I have additional (albeit heavier) layers I could bring a long if I needed too. We have been told that we could expect temperatures down to freezing and some thunderstorms. Some weights are left out (if small) or estimated if I do not have them in my possession yet (Tarptent).
Items I am concerned about:
1) Bear protection. This will be our first time in somewhat bear country. I am not sure if we should bring spray, canisters or Opsacks. I have included 50 feet of line with a biner in order to PCT hang our food sack. However, I was planning on simply using a regular stuff sack and zip lock bags. Good idea? Horrible idea?
2) Gloves. This will be our first time at a decent elevation and I am not sure if I should bring gloves (insulating/wind blocking). Several other lists (in similar areas) have listed rain mitts, but we aren't planning on hiking in the rain so I do not think those will be needed.
3) We will probably only bring one water filter.
4) I know the Neoair, cook system and water filter are all heavy. You can't win them all!
5) I will be adding a small 3-6oz pillow as I am a side sleeper. I'm assuming I won't have much in the way of extra clothing if temperatures drop.

