Topic

Weminuche Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Weminuche Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

I have from 8pm on Aug.13th to 8am on Aug.19th including driving time for a trip. We are in Dallas, TX and want to go to Colorado because I have never been.
    Southern Colorado is the most realistic in terms of driving time. It will take 12-14 hours to get to Durango.
    Anyone have any opinions on the Weminuche Wilderness. Also, there are six of us going and only two of us have ever backpacked, so nothing to crazy.
    Any other suggestions besides Weminuche?
    Thanks.
    JT Gish

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

JT – the Weminuche is gorgeous. You really can’t go wrong. I’m not the map-addict that my dad is, but we’ve spent 6-7 weeks out there, and the trails around Durango, Pagosa, and especially Creede are amazing. You might try leaving from around Creede and see if you can catch the Pyramid and the Window on some sort of loop. Great attractions for first-timers, too.

Ben

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Ben,
    thanks for the suggestion, I just ordered my guidebook from REI in Denver and the gentleman on the phone also suggested Creede as a starting point. I will most likely have more ?’s once the book arrives.
    JT

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Here goes the plans:
    Aug.15: Leave early from Coppell, TX and drive to Moab, UT. Est. drive time 16-18 hrs. Arrive late and crash at a motel (maybe camp at Arches?).
    Aug.16: Spend all day at Arches NP and then drive to Canyonlands NP that evening and camp. (30min drive?).
    Aug.17: Hike around Canyonlands NP all day then drive to Creede, Co that night. Stay at motel around there(rest and showers).
    Aug.18&19: We are doing the Window, Rio Grande Pyramid hike. Weminuche Trail 818 to Skyline Trail to Spur Trail Rio Grande Pyramid and the Window. (Camp?) Return via Continental Divide Trail 813 to Weminuche Trail 818. (19 miles RT)
    How is this route and where is the best place to camp along this trail? Also, would like to turn this into two nights instead of one. I have the guidebook but it does not mention campsites.
    Which arches to check out in Arches NP?
    Where to camp in Canyonlands NP on the 16th and what trails to hike on the 17th? Im really intersted in the Needles section.
    If anyone wants to meet up with us feel free.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools