Topic

First Aid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zack Blocker

@marine2553

I have put together a first aid kit but I am still missing one thing, a manual on how to treat the person. I can't find one at the moment and was wondering if anybody knows a site I could download a PDF/WordDoc file from or maybe just one that you already have. Everything that I find is over 100 pages long and I personaly would perfer one that is short, sweet, and to the point.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I've seen a bandana that had instructions on it for first aid (try google). It wasnt as indepth as a 100 page manual, but will you be able to apply all that info to someone when needed? Would you be able to treat the condition with what you have in your FAK? It might be in your best intrest to read to manual, understand your ability to treat someone in the feild and perhaps type up your own manual with what would work for you.
    Good luck

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

REI is offering Wilderness First Aid classes (generally in conjunction with NOLS) all over the country. It would be well worth your while to take one. In an emergency you won't have time to look stuff up. A few hours' review of a good Wilderness First Aid text would be far better. I also would not to take any first aid items you don't know how to use.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

You can get WFA training at your local Red Cross.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I was surprised to find out that Red Cross offers WFA; however nothing was scheduled for the Portland, OR area when I was looking. The Red Cross price is about the same as other WFA courses such as NOLS (about $200), and it's also a 16-hour class. If you can find one scheduled, go for it.

I forgot to mention that WFA classes don't include CPR; however, you can get a CPR class from the Red Cross or, often, from your employer. I got a free one through my church.

I hope that REI continues to offer these classes and that people will take advantage of them! A standard first aid (the kind where 9-1-1 is right around the corner) is definitely better than nothing, but in wilderness situations you need to be able to stabilize the patient (they're no longer called "victims") for much longer periods.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Ideally the knowledge is already in your skull, but a book to refresh details under duress is a good idea.

When I took my WFR years ago Wilderness Medical Associates gave us a little waterproof spiralbound book that was a very good quick referance.

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

The Boy Scouts have started requiring wilderness first aid class for their high adventure treks – Philmont, Northern Tier, etc. Many councils will sponsor one or more wilderness first aid classes each year. These classes, however, are only open to Scouts. You'd have to join a Troop or Crew.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I was thinking of taking an EMT course at the local junior college. I was talking to a firefighter who mentioned every firefighter in the county has to complete an EMT course before going through fire academy. It may be a fun way of getting some good knowledge/hands-on training in for real cheap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools