Topic

Packs – state of the market report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packs – state of the market report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I thought I read Roger(?) referring to an upcoming SOM report on packs, and this was a few weeks ago (IIRC). Any word on when to expect it?…I need to make a decision soon

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

A lot of us would like to see that! Even if we're not in the market for a pack, that's the piece of gear for which we're most asked for advice!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yep. SOTM on internal frame packs under 3.5 lb (1.6 kg) and holding (generally) between 50 and 75 L.

It's a monster – you will be reading it for weeks! Many parts, at weekly intervals. Starts with a listing of all the packs we surveyed and then discusses what we measured, how we measured, and why, and some general discussion of design and functionality details so a novice will have a better idea of what to look for. (Comfort, comfort and comfort, in my book.)

After the theory part (You know me!), we get onto the individual packs. Each company and each pack gets a mini-review. In addition, there is a listing of mass and volume – both claimed and measured, plus 'recommended maximum load', and some 'efficiency' figures like litres of volume per kg of pack etc.

It's coming fairly soon. Scheduled to start sometime in September *I hope*. Possibly delayed a week or so by the VERY late arrival of one brand of pack, but fairly comprehensive over brands. I will add – we have packs from many countries in the survey!

Cheers

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

cool…very much looking forward to it…

Nathan Lare
    BPL Member

@hikingllama

Any chance we can get a preview of the list of packs reviewed?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

" Possibly delayed a week or so by the VERY late arrival of one brand of pack…"

Let me guess…the Backpacking Light Absaroka Backpack, by any chance?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I doubt it's the Absaroka. I believe it's BPL policy not to review their own products.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Any chance we can get a preview of the list of packs reviewed?
    Sorry – I don't think we ever do that.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I doubt it's the Absaroka. I believe it's BPL policy not to review their own products.

Correct on both counts.

Cheers

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I was joking, guys.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Considering that the late entry is a sub 10 oz , 58 L pack that can carry 35 lbs, I think that it was well worth waiting for.
    Franco
    looks like Daniel knows what I am talking about….

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

"Considering that the late entry is a sub 10 oz , 58 L pack that can carry 35 lbs, I think that it was well worth waiting for.
    Franco"

If that's the pack I think it is it's quite amazing, especially since Franco does not mention that by adding the optional stays (brings the weight up to 11.5 oz) the pack is capable of carrying 45 lbs.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Glad to see this article coming. And, after seeing Ryan here in town recently, glad to hear the Absoroka is finally on it's way too!

Thomas Hood
    BPL Member

@attom

And what Pack are we all talking about..(the 11 oz one)?????

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

"And what Pack are we all talking about..(the 11 oz one)?????"

I believe Franco has the pre-production prototype. I'll just say that a well known manufacturer (eltyKay in pig latin) is getting into the ultralight market in a big way.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry Thomas, it was a joke…
    Franco

Sean Griffin

@griffins

Off topic, but Matt: That looks like a gigantic Aussie in your avatar. What kind of dog is that?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools