Topic

Foolproof containers for oily stuff?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Foolproof containers for oily stuff?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Suggestions regarding containers that can carry 1-6 oz. of oily, messy substances? (Coconut oil; ghee; almond butter; etc.)?

Of course, this thread is motivated by the recent failure of a little dropper bottle that I *thought* was leakproof!

– Elizabeth

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The hard sided mini Nalgene containers work well.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Yeah, I'm very interested in this myself, after just having had pesto leak all over the inside of my bear canister.

Bagging oils inside multiple layers of ziplocks may work.

I find single-serving packets of olive oil to be extremely convenient, although a little expensive: http://www.minimus.biz/

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Ive had good luck with film cannisters so far.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I take olive oil in a small screwtop Nalgene on shorter trips and in an 8oz disposable water bottle on longer trips. They've both proved foolproof (me being the fool), even filled at sea level and taken to 10k feet.

I don't often take goopy stuff but if I did it would probably go into a widemouth screwtop Nalgene or equivalent. Stowing that in a ziplock would provide some insurance.

Cheers,

Rick

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We take olive oil in little Mini liquor bottles. They seem to hold the seal well. Most other things do not !

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

+1 on nalgene screw top containers. I've tried other snap lids and what happens is everything looks fine when you load it with butter or whatever. But then it's inside your pack where it's upside down and it's 100 degrees and it turns into a very thin, slick liquid that finds it's way through the seal…

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

another yes to the small Nalgene screw top containers.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I'm surprised to see so many people saying positive things about the nalgene screw tops. I have one that leaks oil every time. For a while I was carrying it in a ziploc bag (because I wanted a wide-mouth container for oil-packed sundried tomatoes), but now I've given up and just use an 8 oz juice bottle for straight olive oil.

The bottle I have is this one, in an 8 oz size:
    http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Nalgene-PC-Jars_10090287_10208_10000001_-1_

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

@nathan: The odd thing is that the Moosejaw page's description of the jars says, "Jars are not recommended for liquid storage." But yours doesn't leak? If they're not for liquids, I don't know what that means they *are* supposed to be for. What does PC stand for?

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

I think a lot of people use the travel-size hotel shampoo/conditioner bottles for one thing or another, and I'm guessing they'd be fine for food too.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

Hmm, that looks like a jar, and it does say not for liquids. I meant one of these:

REI link

"What does PC stand for?" Probably polycarbonate (Lexan)

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

Yeah, I see that it says not for liquid on the website. I got mine years ago at a moosejaw retail shop, on the staff's recommendation about a wide-mouth container for peanut butter. Maybe it would work fine with industrial homogenized peanutbutter, but putting any sort of natural stuff in it results in peanut oil all over your pack. I started trying to use sun-dried tomatoes in it a couple years later, when I'd forgotten about the earlier peanut experiences.
    —-
    And to clarify: the nalgene bottle I linked to *does* leak, so I've replaced it with a "disposable" bottle that came full of juice, which seals fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools