Topic

Another MYOG pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another MYOG pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

packpackpakc

The main inspiration for this project was the ULA Conduit/CDT, though elements from the Osprey Talon series and the REI Flash series made their way in.

packpakcpackkk

Straps and belt are from a Talon 11 I got hold of. Maing body and back fabric are from Western Mountaineering stuff sacks I never use. The blue silnylon on the extension collar is from the stuff sack that came with my Alpacka. Bottom and beavertail pocket are single layer Ballistics nylon I had lying around. Mesh came from the gear loft of an old, unused tent. Total expenditure: $0.

The mesh pockets and back pocket are integrated (a la the REI Flash packs) with no divider separating them. I cut them to provide plenty of storage space, even with the main pack stuffed full. The horizontal daisy chain right below the extension collar will provide lash points for an ice axe or skis.

Weight: 17 oz.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Love the up-cycle/re-cycle vibe, how many DIY packs is this for you now Dave? ;)

Looks nice. Do you ever contour the side-panels any to the curve of your back or have you not found that advantageous?

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Like Javan said, love the recycled look! Contoured shoulder straps can be a pain to make so good choice in sourcing old ones.

Oh, great decor in the background. Those are sweet windowed shelves!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Jared, my wife found those on craigslist last year. They're heavy as all get out. She adores them, and will be psyched to know folks in internetland share her opinion.

Javan, not totally sure what you mean by contouring the pack panel. Wider at the hips, narrower at the shoulders (or something)? One of the reasons I like using a ridgerest (either folded or rolled) in my frameless packs is that it provides just the right mix of structure and flexibility.

I actually only have two packs that have been made from stratch, though both have been reinvented a bunch, and almost all our other packs have been modified in some ways. My Osprey Talon 11 is the only pack I own that is straight up stock.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Javan, not totally sure what you mean by contouring the pack panel

I suspect Javan meant adding an S-curve to the side panel, to try to make the back panel adopt an S-curve to match the curve of the back, thus making the pack sit close in to the back.

> Oh, great decor in the background. Those are sweet windowed shelves!

It's a funny-looking computer sitting on the top, though…

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Thanks Kevin, that's exactly what I was trying to get at.

I'm working on women's pack design, that can hopefully be comfortable without any framing short of a pad, and approaching it with the assumption that such a curve is the key. Seems to work well in the prototype but haven't gotten it out in the field yet.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I like the rehash/recycle/regurgitate into something new concept this pack embodies. Beautiful bottom line at the end, too: $0.

Also like the way you designed for outer pocket capacity not being affected by main body capacity. One of my peeves with some bags.

Great job, making me feel like I need to make my own bag for my PCT attempt next year!

Dug
    htt://thf2.wordpress.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools