Topic

MYOG Silicone Cup Lid and Pot Grabber

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Silicone Cup Lid and Pot Grabber

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Lids are a useful thing. So are pot grabbers. Here's a 2-in1 solution.

Out of a silicone baking sheet, I traced the circumference of my titanium cup, which doubles as my pot.

I cut it out, poked a small bit of Triptease through it, and sealed the hole with a bit of GE Silicone II. I did that to help prevent the hole from ripping open.

With my stove, I've tested this a half-dozen times. Here are my findings:

1. Silicone can withstand some heat, but not direct flame. I make no guarantee this will work well for your stove, but I had no problems with the silicone melting or catching on fire. The Gram Weenie stove I'm using was designed to minimize flare-ups around the mug, so there is little worry of lid failure due to heat.

2. After the water came to a boil, I lifted the lid off and used it to grip the handles. This thin sheet of silicone can get hot, but will cool relatively quickly once off the pot (10-20 seconds), and works quite well to grip the small handles of my mug.

mug 1

mug 2

mug 4

mug 4

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks for the kind words, Joe.

Oh, I forgot to add quite possibly the most important bit of information:

7 grams!

edited for spelling.

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

Yeah, I still have an aluminum pot. I want to go ti, and I was looking at the Hot Lips – with this lid I'll be Mr Silicone.

Very 21st Century.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Gotta make one. Too cool!

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Nice dual use idea!

For somebody concerned about melting the silicone (As in the case where your stove produces flames that lick up the sides of the pot) you could cut the silicone to be slightly smaller than the inside of the pot. You would then place it directly on the water where it would float.

This would be the equivalent of a Japanese drop lid, which is generally made of cedar and floats on the surface of the water.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hey, great tip on the floating lid!

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

If you're going to go with the floating lid, I suggest a non-stick oven liner like this betty crocker one. These are much thinner and lighter than the baking sheets.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Nia,
    Are those very flexible? The nice thing about thin silicone is that it is very flexible, and will form to many shaped handles. The firmer materials don't allow a good, solid grip on handles, but would work for a floating lid.

However, I do caution on the Betty Crocker oven liner since the product description says "Not for use with direct contact of food, oven element or open flame."

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Joe,
    As far as Hot Lips go….. I've found that with my Ti mug, if the mug rim is too hot to put my lips on, then the liquid is still too hot to drink. Once the liquid cools to a drinkable temperature, then the Ti mug is fine for my lips. But then again, everyone's heat tolerances for different body parts can very greatly.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Travis,

Yes, the oven liners are very flexible, can be folded tighter than the cooking liners as they are thinner. Not sure the reason for the warning. It's a silicone coated sheet. I used one for a few months last year and survived. At least for now :)

The reason I gave up on the floater is that I do actual cooking, rather than just boiling water, and I didn't like having to clean food off the lid after each meal. If I was just boiling water I think it is the most efficient solution. The plus is that since the oven liner is so light rather than boiling over the hot gas can just escape along the side or at worst just blow the thin liner off.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Cool, I'll have to check those out.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Nice idea. I made several lids for my SP600 out of tobacco tin bottoms. They weigh about .5oz though. I paint them in heat resistant grill paint. I often don't use a stove and just chuck my pot on coals in the fire.

One thing I like to do with the cord style lid lifters is intentionally place the string off center by a good margin. When you are cooking or boiling keep the big margin of the lid towards you. When you lift the lid it automatically tilts down in your favor, keeping the steam off your face and hands.

Steam burns from a camp pot are more of an ouch! than a serious injury. Anoying none the less.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Daniel, that's a very good idea. Next lid I make I'll be doing that!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The thing I really like about your lid, Travis, is how it doubles as a heat-protecting pot grabber!

I wonder if there is a way to attach the string to the upper side of the pad (off center as Daniel suggested), rather than poking a hole and sealing with silicone?

I also wonder — given its feather light weight — if wind could blow the lid off? Can you experiment with a fan for us?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>I also wonder — given its feather light weight — if wind could blow the lid off? Can you experiment with a fan for us?

Thanks Ben! I can do better than that. I'll be testing it for a week in Glacier NP, starting this Sunday. Given it's low profile, I doubt there'd be any problem, but stranger things have happened.

I'll think about how to make an off-center string/handle thingy. Anyone have any good ideas?

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> For somebody concerned about melting the silicone

Silicone tends to burn rather than melt, when exposed to direct flame. It's actually quite interesting result, as it forms an ablative layer that peels off.

Franco Darioli has some interesting photos of a silicone egg ring used for a Caldera cutoff…

Burnt egg ring:

After cleaning off the residue (silica, basically):

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzVdy9rKlfo

Experimental I announced two years ago.

With the lid drop significantly reduce the incidence of water vapor. Will also save energy. Boiling at the same time so easy to sink, but is currently experimental and pipes in silicon to increase buoyancy.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

Siliconlid_ver5

Able time shortened by 20 seconds with hot water.
    Floating cover made of silicon. 16g
    You can also use the grip of the pot.

Data
    Titanium pot 96φmm, ℃ 17 temperature, 400ml
    This is the time from ignition.
    Usually 4 minutes and 50 seconds.
    In this case, four minutes and 30 seconds
    Fuel alcohol 16ml

Andrew Dolman
    Spectator

@andydolman

Is that 20 seconds improvement relative to using a lid? Or compared to an open pot?

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

It occurs to me that one might potentially use the mug or bowl from Guyoutdesigns Squishy Bowl kit.

http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/the_bowls.php

Suddenly a mug, lid, pot grabber. Claim to be "temperature tollerant" up to 400 degrees.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I bought this at a TJMaxx store for $1.99:

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

@ Michael – Squishy Bowls – sure look nice, but…… far too heavy. I eat from my pot anyhow and my coffee cup weighs in at a scant 10 grams (approx. a 1/3 of an ounce). Although it’s small, I want my coffee to be very strong, so I don’t add too much water and therefore it's big enough FOR ME.

@Travis
    – hadn’t seen this post before. Really like your idea. How did the test during your week in Glacier NP work out?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools