Topic

Hking and San Luis Obispo area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hking and San Luis Obispo area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

In two weeks I will be moving to San Luis Obispo from Orange County. Anyone know of good hiking/backpacking in the area or nearby? What's the easiest way to get to the eastern Sierra from there?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

There's lots of nice day hikes in the area. Several of the morros have trails or fire roads up them. Montana de Oro State Park has some nice trails, and there are trails all through the coast Range there.

Eastern Sierra? Drive back across the Coast Range, across the Valley, through Bakersfield to Mojave (the town), then north on the 395.

p.s. You'll be closer to the western Sierra, which has one or two nice spots too!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think to get to the Sierra you go east via the scary highay 46 out of Paso Robles. You can get to the eastern Sierra from Bakersfield.

There are lots of nice hikes in the San Rafael Wilderness. You can get to the Cuyama Valley from Santa Maria and from there get into the San Rafael. I have a few of those hikes listed on my web site, Santa Barbara Hikes, but my bias is toward hikes easily accessible from Santa Barbara. For you, better than my site would be to buy some of Bryan Conant's maps. He color codes the trails so you know which ones are in good shape and which ones are overgrown or burned. Bryan's also trying to create a wacky impossible long-distance route called the Condor Trail. (You can google all these things.)

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Hi Jeff,

Welcome! I've been living here in SLO for about 7 years and love it. There are a lot of day hikes in the area to keep you in shape for the upcoming trips! A few over-night hikes can be done right on the edge of town if you are willing to stealth camp and get creative.

Big Sur has the Ventana wilderness and you can reach it within one to two hours and string together many different routes. I just did a trip up there this past weekend.

Yosemite is reached by highway 41 in about 5-6 hours. SEKI is about 4-5 hours away. Best way to reach the eastern Sierra is by highway 166 east out of Santa Maria and then connecting to highway 58 and then the 395.

Shoot me a pm if I can help you out any further.

Ryan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools