Topic

Singer 237 sewing machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Singer 237 sewing machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Just purched one of these in a garage sale:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2010/02/02/singer-237-fashion-mate-sewing-machine-reveiw.aspx

It's in really good condition, really clean.

Wondering if anybody knows more about it. It's pretty much all metal construction, and I've heard that these older singers where pretty good.

Thanks!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

# Adjustable needle position
    # Adjustable stitch length and width
    # Adjustable presser foot pressure
    # Reverse feed
    # Feed dogs drop (control knob on bed- most models)
    # NO PLASTIC GEARS

All the right noises.
    Buy good needles and good thread – no cheap thread and no serger thread.

Cheers

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah, and no singer needles either.

Stick with the Schmetz.

I use old Singer's exclusively, I've got a 500A, a 221 and a 301.

The Fashionmate(237) is a good and under-valued model. Enjoy it.

One recommendation, buy the correct lubricant, and lube the gears, and motor grease tubes if it has them. Singer manuals all suggest singer motor lubricant for the gears and tubes, although I've known a couple of industrial machine repair guys that swear by vaseline for the gears instead.

Good luck!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> no singer needles either.
    > Stick with the Schmetz.

I do use Schmetz needles, but I also have some old singer ones. What's the matter with the Singer ones? Educate me please.

Cheers

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

Go to the link below, and you can download singer manuals, some of which are free.

Put in the model number, such as 237.

The 237 is one of the ones with a free manual. Lucky.

Enjoy your fine old Singer machine.

http://singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Thanks for the link. This one came with the manual already. I had to download a manual a while ago for my wife's machine (A cheap Sears Kenmore) a while back. It's nice to have all these resources available on the web.

Roger:
    Yes, I've got some good thread (Gutermann) and needles I bought a while back when I was doing some projects on my wife's machine. I was able to get it to sew OK after much fiddling with tensions etc.

Tried the Singer last night and it seems to be in excellent operating condition.

Dan

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Roger, the older singer needles always had a rep for being top shelf, although the newer ones are generally considered less so than Schmetz, although for the most part, that's just urban legend and BS. They cost roughly the same however, and the Schmetz from my experience are available in much wider variety of sizes and styles everywhere I shop.

Especially when dealing with the lighter weight fabrics, I've had great results from the Schmetz microtex line, and haven't been able to find an equivalent version in Singer. In fact, of the readily available brands, I wouldn't recommend anything else for working with the ultra-tight weave 20d nylons (i.e. momentum). I've tried dozens of others and wasn't happy.

Size 60-70 in microtex sharp point.

For heavier weight fabrics it doesn't matter as much, but since the Schmetz needles run the same price or cheaper than the Singer brand, I stick with them.

I've heard good things about Organ brand being much cheaper and on par quality with Schmetz, however I've never seen them in shops.

So, I guess, I shouldn't have said no singer needles, just, merely a tip to branch out. Alot of skipped stitch problems that people believe are their machines having issues are actually one of two things a) in-appropriate needle for featherweight fabrics or b) wide throat-plate opening causing downward pucker and obstructing bobbin thread take-up (especially with zig-zag throat-plates).

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Daniel, make sure you know how to adjust the lower (bobbin) tension and you may need to take the upper tension assembly apart and adjust the baseline tension to get an acceptable setting. Sounds harder than it is.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Javan

OK, thanks. yes, I find the Schmetz very widely available too.

I have been using the standard #60 Schmetz on the tightest of fabrics with no trouble. I am not sure I have seen the 'microtex' label on them though.

Yeah, bent needle tips are a real problem! Replace.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools