Topic

Camp Shoe Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camp Shoe Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I'm a camp shoe guy; I know that it's just added weight but one of my favorite things in camp is camp shoes.

Any suggestions on light weight and hopefully inexpensive?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Well if you must….

Flip flops. That is what I use when camping with our tent trailer.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I just got back from 11 days on trail at Philmont using these as camp shoes … worked well … size large weighs 3.6oz (including accumulated dirt).

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Man, those are ugly but just might work

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Salomon trail runners. Not expensive or heavy, considering they are my only footwear.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Even uglier are the Sprint Aquatics Mesh Shoes. Dirt cheap though, and only 2 oz for the pair. The sizes run small, so buy a size larger than you think you'll need.

Gordon

Sean Staplin
    BPL Member

@mtnrat

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies

I use insoles from a pair of runners. I just fashion a strap system from some light weight cord. Super light and do a great job.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I saw some sand socks at Sport Chalet yesterday, solid black so they looked alot better than those posted above. Designed for beach sports it seems. Also they looked to be quite warm so they could double as sleeping socks.

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

Light but not uberlight… Crocs. Very comfy after a long day of hiking.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

I heard the Target and Walmart version of crocs are even lighter.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Man, those are ugly

True, but not being a form over function kinda a guy I don't particularly care about that.

but just might work

They exceeded my expectations, even to the point of walking 200 yards in the dark to our bear bag over a moderately rocky trail.

Another reply spoke of Target/Walmart crocoffs being lighter than the real Crocs. I've heard that before … but haven't seen them in stores this year (Target, K-Mart or Walmart). The Croc craze must be fading. I used Airwalk brand Crocoffs before getting the sand socks … 10.5oz per size 12 pair.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

you hang your bear bag 200yds from camp?? isnt that a little excessive?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

When I switched from boots to trail runners, I figured I wouldn't need camp shoes since the trail runners are so comfy–just loosen the laces. I found out, though, that the trail runner soles really tear up the ground in front of my tent during my multiple middle-of-the-night exits and entrances. I therefore went back to my Sprint Aquatics shoes (like Gordon's, and they come in women's sizes, too, which also run small).

I just got a set of Goose Feet with the waterproof shells which will now replace both the Sprint Aquatics shoes and my fleece sleeping socks for basically the same weight for either combination. The Goose Feet are both more comfy and warmer than the sleeping socks! I haven't yet tried them in the field but will do so next week.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

you hang your bear bag 200yds from camp?? isnt that a little excessive?

I can't argue that. But this was Philmont, where all campgrounds on the property contain cables between trees where food is to be hung. This was the closest cable to the particular site we settled into … not really more than a minor inconvenience.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've started hiking in Chaco sandals, so I guess you could say I'm hiking in what some people might consider camp shoes.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Comfy and fairly light flip flops at 7~8 oz/pair. Good for around town too. I get about a year of regular use out of mine before they completely mush-out.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

I have a trip coming up and I'm looking for a lighter pair of camp shoes. This is why I started this Thread. Campmor has Teva Hurricane 3's on sale for $19.99. I just saw online that they weigh 8oz. Don't know if that's each sandal or for the pair??!

If anyone has an idea please respond. Looking to buy soon!

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Teva Hurricane 3 sandals, Size 9, weigh 9 oz each, 18 oz for the pair. I use Vibram Five Fingers for combination camp shoes, stream crossings, and playing in the rocks and water on rest days. 13 oz per pair, comfy, good protection, great on rocks, but tricky to put on until you get the hang of it. Feelmax Niesa also look good at 10.5 oz per pair but I haven't tried them yet.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

The weight on the "hurricanes" has to be per shoe… the "mush" weigh that much per pair and have only one strap and are mostly foam. Sierra Trading post has the mush on sale for $13… oops I recently paid twice that at REI!

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Has anyone out there used Crocs as camp shoes? They are light, 10oz a pair, and durable. Always used Teva Dozers but twice as heavy. How do they feel and do you usually wear socks with them while stomping around the camp?

Thanks

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I have long considered this a need/opportunity for product development, as there are IMO no good alternatives for something that is really light, supportive and durable enough to wear for swift river crossings, and that work well for kicking around camp.

I can't stand crocs (and they really aren't THAT light or compact), tevas and chacos are too heavy). Neoprene water socks soak up water and aren't that quick to dry, and going super minimalist (flip flops made of an insole and twine) wouldn't cut it in swift water.

I'm left thinking well ventilated lightweight trail runners, kept on to cross rivers, may be the best option.

I wish Inov8 would make a water shoe for to fill this niche…

Jason Lande

@jtlande

Anyone checked out the roclite 190? Getting closer to what folks here are looking for?

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I've got the recolite 190, and they are SUPER comfy, and would be the ideal apres-hike camp shoe if you want to pack something just for that purpose.

However, they aren't ideal for river crossings IMO (loosish fit, somewhat flimsy upper material, and enough upper material and insole – which makes drying out slower than many river sandals).

I'd like a river sandal with a lightweight croc-like sole (but not the boxy fit), and a simple set of straps sufficient to keep em on in swift water.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

how well do those sand socks breathe? would they be a good replacement for socks in summer weather?

James Taylor

@stahl

Locale: Montana

The http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901 worked well for me. They fit in the shelf of my blackbird, I could put them on in the dark without a light, they weigh next to nothing, they were durable enough to avoid being punctured by rocks, sticks, pinecones, etc. They were also a joy to put on after a day of hiking, due to weight, flexibility and breathability. And at 5.50 a pair, I can replace them every 3-4 trips and never feel a twinge.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools