Topic

Packing Homemade Jelly Tubes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Packing Homemade Jelly Tubes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Savka
    BPL Member

@joatman

Locale: So Ill

I am getting ready to head out for a few days and was going to make some PB and Jelly tubes from Foodsaver bags.

Should I be wary of the "Refrigerate after opening" or will it keep for a week in single use tubes?

Can I DIY pasteurize the jelly packs on the stove or is that just overkill?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

another great subject line, brought to you exclusively by bpl.

for the record, DIY pasteurization of the tubes seems overkill. happy friday.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Being an answer of no authority and absolutely opinion only- I say go for it. I THINK that if you were to reseal it in a vacuum pack it would be ok.

Nothing can survive in a vacuum, right?

see if you can make a bunch of pre-measured, single serving sleeves. Open one, squeeze out all contents onto sandwich, and throw empty packaging into the bushes.

Am I behind the curve? Does everyone already make single serve pouches?

Anyway- It'd probably taste funny if it got funky.

Aaron Savka
    BPL Member

@joatman

Locale: So Ill

I ended up making bigger tubes than I had originally intended. Peanut butter was not very cooperating. Jelly wasn't too bad.

I tried putting a bunch of PB in a ziplock and cut the corner to make it like a decorating bag, then squirt it into the tube. Worked well until the PB prevented excess air from escaping.

Ended up making a tube, folding open end down to keep it as clean as possible and using a knife to pack each tube.

I'm sure I have more than I need in each tube, but I plan on splitting each one with my son while we are out. We'll see how it works…

Next time I think I'll plan a little better and find some prepackaged PB & J. Something along the size that comes in MREs would be great.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

I used the Coghlans roll up tubes for a peanut butter/ dark chocolate/ banana chip/ coconut goo and it worked perfectly! OK- it kinda sucked, but I think it was because:

1. I filled it up too much and made it too full to get a good clip.

2. I didn't get the little pieces little enough (thanks for nothing, vocabulary).
    – the grit small enough
    – the grains minuscule enough
    – the particles infinitesimal enough AAAAHHHH! there's that word again, and bad grammar to boot!

Anyway… the clip kept popping out so it sucked. Tasted good, but I ended up licking my fingers all the time 'cause the mess- which would be OK but Mike C! has me using my hand;)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"…throw empty packaging into the bushes. Am I behind the curve?"

Yup… you can't just toss your garbage. You gotta figure out another way. Burn it all, completely, or carry it back out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> and throw empty packaging into the bushes.
    > Am I behind the curve?

Don't know about the curve, but you might get ostracised if you go around throwing rubbish into the bushes!

Grrr!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

RE: Throwing trash in the bushes-

I would hope you guys to figure me kidding about throwing an empty wrapper in the shrubs. I was totally just trying to sneak that in there to see if anyone noticed.

Inside, there is a little voice saying, "Tee hee hee, I got Roger to growl at me!"

:)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

OK, OK, score one point!
    :-)

Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Honestly….if you live in the US head over to http://www.minimus.biz and buy the items in packets. Considerably easier. A zillion times less messy ;-)

On that whole "refrigerate after opening"…well it just depends on how much you buy into it. I grew never keeping PB or jam in the frig. Our jam was homemade and it was gone in a week or two each jar. But that was us.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

http://www.minimus.biz is AMAZING! thanks!

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

"www.minimus.biz is AMAZING! thanks!"

+1

wow, free shipping over 20 bucks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And I'll add that $20 of packets is a full seasons worth – and Minimus ships fast/well packed :-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools