Topic

Shakespeare Ultra Light Action Travel Mate?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Shakespeare Ultra Light Action Travel Mate?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Anyone have any experience with the Shakespear Ultra Light Travel Mate rod/reel combo? Its a telescoping rod/spinning reel.

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Action-Travel-4-Feet-6-Inch/dp/B002W0K9CK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1279836439&sr=1-6

Its cheap, which is a plus. Not sure of weight, but its tiny (I saw it in person at a store). I'm curious if it is at least of decent quality. It doesn't have to be great, but hopefully functional and won't break within 10 uses.

Suggestions for alternatives welcome also.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

it's an Eagle Claw 5 piece 6.5' packrod (made from fiberglass rather than graphite, so it's more sensitive and less stiff) and the smallest pflueger reel I could find–they were about $20 each and I've had them almost 10 years now. I've caught fish up to about 5lbs, but even 6" brookies can bend the sensitive upper part of the rod. Rod weighs about 2.5 oz and the reel with line a bit under 6oz if memory serves.

golden trout

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Cary, I dont know where this photo was taken but if you go again, take me with you.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

hehehe.

yeah, they are big up there. on a previous trip I actually caught them much bigger but didn't have a camera.

i'd have to be in much better shape to get back up there. maybe next year though. couple other places i'd like to get back to or check out that also have quite large goldens, but all are at least fairly tough to get to.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools