Topic

9.5 oz nixed from a GoLite pack!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 9.5 oz nixed from a GoLite pack!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I just chopped a bunch of stuff off my brand new GoLite PEAK (sized large). My new pack is now 18 oz, and that's 9.5 ounces less thant the out of the box weight of 27.5 ounces! Easy!

Peak
    volume: 2200 in3 | 36 liters

From the factory:
    27.5 oz
    781 gm

After my scissor trimming:
    18 oz
    510 gm

Stuff I nixed in a pile:
    9.5 oz
    271 gm

I nixed:

– foam pad
    – iterior pocet for the pad and water bladder
    – ice axe loops
    – side compression straps
    – hip pads and pockets
    – shortened all webbing
    – the factory strin
    – cord lock

I sewed on a lighter option:

– hip belt
    – sternum strap
    – lighter string

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

Awesome, mike!

I chopped 6 oz off of my jam.

I left the compression straps on, but realized on this last trip (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35228&skip_to_post=299952#299952) that I hadn't used them. I bet they'll weigh another ounce :-)

Does anybody use those?

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Actually – Andrew Skurka uses his compression straps on his JAM pack, but what does he know.

;^)

(and he really does, but I don't)

I did cut the compression straps leaving about a half an inch of webbing, trimmed rounded. I melted the edge with a lighter, leaving a tiny tab with a sealed edge.

I then poked a hole in the tiny tab using a long thin philip's head screw-driver that was heated up on my stove! This mde for a tiny hole with a melted platic sealed edge. If I need to, I can always tie string thru this little hole. So, in a way – I still have compression straps!

M!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hmm….

Should have just bought a Murmur. Same volume counting the pockets. Weight savings of 10 oz over your modified pack.

:)

Joe Cangelosi

@joefish

Locale: All Over California

I need a big paddy hip belt. I carry as much weight as I can on my hips, in fact, I might learn to sew and turn two of the compression straps into load lifters.

As pack design has eliminated or reduced hip belts, the shoulder strap attachments have lowered to compensate, which makes sense – if you like to have the weight on your shoulders. I have a really bad shoulder and just generally find the weight more comfortable on my hips.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice modifications.

How did you cut out the foam from the back? Just curious about how the foam is attached and what's left when you were through.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Mike, don't you find the extension collar on the Peak far too short? I find it difficult to get items up near the base of the extension collar and still be able to roll the top closed properly. Also the top side compression straps are located too near the top of the pack, a design change that didn't exist on the 2008 Jams.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown abc

@edude

Nice! Too bad one can't shave that much weight off a Golite Ion.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

Cutting 9.5 ounces, or even just 9, from my Ion would be amazing! How would you go about that? :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm the Murmur also has compression straps and a adjustable sternum strap at 7.9 oz. (224 g.)

David Ure

@familyguy

Shouldn't you have just bought a ULA Equipment Conduit that is bigger and only 17oz. Then you could have done your surgery and ended up with a 10oz Conduit……gotcha thinking now didn't I.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

I also have Gossamer Gear G5 WHISPER, at 3.7 ounces. So I have a super duper SUL pack.

I wanted this pack because I can ride my bike to town with it – AND – I can do a buncha days in the backcountry and aggressively bushwhack.

To get the pad out, I just turned the backpack inside out and used a sharp pair of scissors. I left a few inches of fabric (a sort of pocket) across the very bottom, and across the very top, so I can still fit the pad in there.

And I never really use the hip belt. No need with such a light load. I do use it for holding bear spray. I sewed on a 1/2 inch webbing belt, and it's fine.

I like the conduit. I have carried a friends for a buncha miles.

David Ure

@familyguy

Mike – I was just teasing you. But it did get me thinking of what you COULD do to the Conduit, which is in many ways similar to the Peak.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Well, now I'm going to have to get off my butt, get a pair of scissors, and go get my Conduit out of the gear bin…. who knows what you guys may have started.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Mike, I just bought your book and saw this great tip; I was contemplating cutting off my compression straps and sewing the ends to a loop for cord (just in case its ever needed). How do you find your melted hole method holds up? Have you ever had to use it yet?

My pack is much larger-its about 60 Litres (its an Australian made One Planet). I like it, super comfortable internal frame harness, and I want to keep using it as I could carry three weeks food in it no worries (that's the plan in the future). But given the extra volume I'll probably end up needing to compress it more than you do. I'm just worried about how the holes will hold up with strain?

Great stuff mate!

Adam

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Excuse my ignorance here, but why go with the Peak in the first place? An MLD Prophet still weighs less and is made of Dyneema X too.

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

Golite almost always has a 40% off coupon…. makes for an absolute steal for their packs even if they do weigh more than the cottage competition. My Jam cut down with a diy carbon fiber frame is 1lb 14 ounces and can haul 30-35lb's and is bullet-proof.. Sure there are lighter options, but golite packs with a little diy knowledge are fairly light (certainly not SUL)and comparatively cheap.

edit: don't know the author's reasons for the purchase, just listing my reasons for purchasing a golite pack after yearning for a ULA pack… borderline drooling for a ULA pack to be honest.

Kevin Harper

@kevinharper2

Locale: Southwest

Do you have to have a foam pad in this pack to use it comfortably? I use a Exep UL7. also, does anyone know of a current coupon code for Golite?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

it would be interesting to have a table with the popular lightweight/UL packs and what wt they can be reduced to by removing parts and trimming. A lot of people make their purchase decisions based on the mfgs stated weights too, which arent alway accurate. It might be for a small, a med, or it might be for a large size pack.

For instance a medium circuit with stays, foam back panel, compression cord removed weighs about 28.6 oz. Remove the foam in the hipbelt and its 28.2 oz. And there is a lot of strap that can be trimmed, about an ounce no problem, etc. the removeable hipbelt w/pockets is very heavy, I think about 8.5oz, but going on memory there.

Some people have the impression its a 38 oz pack. But by taking things off, it can be anywhere from 20-38oz depending on the load you wish to carry. Easy enough to put a simple hipbelt webbing strap with a patch of velcro on for UL weights.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools