Topic

useful knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear useful knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Hi.
    Here is my little creation you might find of some interest. If you can do without the macho looks of the typical knife sold, this ugly but practical utensil may be for you !

1. The knife on the left is typical of what I once used but I never found them that useful. Besides a cutting edge and (on another knife) a too small serrated edge, they are not practical for basic chores. Plus I always worry about breaking the tip.

2. The knife in the middle which cost me $3 is what I stumbled across by chance and used to make the final product. It has no cutting edge.

3. On the right is my ugly little baby. I cut it down to the length that suited me and added a cutting edge. Its features are . . .
    A. normal cutting edge (on the right side).
    B. long serrated edge great for cutting things like bread and also great for scaling fish.
    C. the rounded tip and straight broad blade makes it good for spreading and even good for stirring the pot.
    D. Weighs half of the knife on the left.

Might not be much use fighting off a grizzly or impressing your buddies, but for getting things done at the campfire, it’s a good little workhorse.

knife

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Grocery store, home goods store? I’d like to know so I can ‘keep my eye out’.

Very well finished, btw. The final product doesn’t look ‘modified’.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Very nice, did you use a dremel to create the serration? Was that originally a spread knife, aren’t those real flexy? Nice job!

ian wright

@ianwright

It was for sale with various kitchen utensils, I don’t know what its original purpose is but maybe to cut bread and spread butter etc. The original is almost 9 inches long. The knife came with the serrated edge which is why it was a good knife to start with as creating the serrated edge would be an effort. The blade is not flexible but like any other blade. Keep your eyes open for a broad blade with a serrated edge, the normal cutting edge is the easy one to create.
    PS. I’m in Australia so cannot tell you where to get one in the USA.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Great idea! I think the knife was originally designed as a cake knife. I saw one recently in the wedding section of a Michaels craft store.

Now that I’ve seen your mod, I’ll have to buy one and try it out!

By the way; how much did the finished knife weigh?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Well done! I would add a hole in the handle for a lanyard.

For those who don’t want to modify a knife, look at paring knives. You won’t lighter or less expensive knives and there are all kinds of lengths and blade configurations. I have one that is a couple ounces and I could shave with it. You can get plastic handled ones for $3 new and any thrift store will have a bin full of them for 99 cents.

ian wright

@ianwright

The finished knife weighs one and a quarter ounces, even I’m surprised !
    Less with a hole drilled in the handle !

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

At 1.12oz you can also buy a great knife made by the french knife maker Opinal. I bought one with a pear wood handle with a 4″ drop point blade made from true carbon steel. It rusts if you don’t take care of it but boy does it take an edge. It folds into the wood handle and has a barrel locking mechanism. What I like about it is that it cost me $9 bucks at Adventure 16 and looks and feels great in the hand. This knife has been used in the Basque region for centuries and is very durable and incredibly sharp.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can get Opinel (note the spelling) knives in all kinds of sizes and blade styles too. There is a tiny one that is 1-5/8″ closed. http://premiumknives.com/ShopSite/PK_cl_Opinel_OP2_Opinel.html

matthew murphy

@bern0416

Locale: Texas

Great Idea Ian. I’m going to look for one soon and give it a shot myself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools