Topic

Edward Abbey On TV

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Edward Abbey On TV

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Fantastic record of Edward Abbey talking about his favorite place. There are other videos to watch, too.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

thank you for sharing!

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Great video. You may be interested in this DVD release of Lonely are the Brave. There are spoilers in the description so don't read it all. I saw it on VHS and it blew me away-this DVD release is great news.
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37744/lonely-are-the-brave/

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Very nice! Desert Solitaire was my first wilderness read- Its been down hill for me ever since and up!.. I really like his sense of humor.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

One of the highlights of my life was meeting him shortly before he died and having a twenty minute conversation with him about writing. He gave me some great advice and sealed my desire to be a nature writer/ photographer/ illustrator.

Here's an excerpt from one of my all time favorite books, Desert Solitaire.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Thanks, Miguel, what a treat! I've been an Abbey fan for years but never got to meet him.

My favorite part of Desert Solitaire (although it's hard to pick one; all of it is marvelous) is the dance of the mating snakes in Chapter 2.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

I love the whole book, too, but one part I remember vividly is when he is alone and decides to clamber down some drop offs amidst the slickrock and discovers that he can't get back up. The way he wrote it still sends shivers down my spine.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

My favorite part of the book as well Miguel.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Thanks for the great video link.

Desert Solitaire one of my all time favorites.

A quote from him that I like:

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.

– Edward Abbey

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

It's impossible to read that excerpt from Desert Solitaire and not feel like you're there, with the cold wind, the coming dawn…while reading it I can even imagine the steam from a cup of joe and my breath in the morning air.

Abbey was an icon, for sure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools