Topic

Too late for off-season winter gear deals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Too late for off-season winter gear deals?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

I will need some insulation layers for the fall and winter and wouldn't mind stocking up early if there are deals to be found. However I seem to have missed a few good sales already – in particular the Montbell down parkas. Should I just wait until I need it and order in the fall at full-price or does anyone expect more clearance sales this late in the summer?

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I'd look at places that carry used gear — you might find some amazing deals from people who bought stuff, didn't use it much (or at all) and are now returning it.

There are also periodic sales that places like REI hold to get rid of lingering off-season inventory, and I think that REI has an equivalent of Filene's Basement for that purpose that's always open, and carries off-season and/or returned stuff that they don't want to or can't put back on their shelves.

EDIT: Whether or not those pan out, IMO it's a very good idea to keep your eye out and stock up early, since over the summer, you have a much higher likelihood of finding bargains on it.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I bought one last month at Campsaver.com which was the best deal around. They almost always have stellar prices.

Good hunting

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Depending on what size your are, there's still some sizes of the New Balance Fugu on sale at Recreationoutlet

This chart rates it's twice as warm as the MB Alpine Down jacket.

Eddie Bauer also has a few MB Down Inner equivalent jackets on sale

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

Is having their 30% off sale. Check the website.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately all those deals aren't available in my size :-( The Fugu looks like a steal. It may even be too warm for the Central Texas area. I'll keep looking for sales and checking the Gear Swap.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The EB is more equivalent to the MB Alpine Light per Will R.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools