Topic

Nemo Espri 2P Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Nemo Espri 2P Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Nemo Espri 2P Tent Review

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Good stuff.

I take it that the pneumatic poles don't feature any more with these tents – a good idea.

Yeah, the doorway needs improving seriously.

I hope we get a bit of the snow this winter so I can play too.

Thanks.
    Cheers

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Thanks Roger,

The Nemo tents that end with "0" in the name still have the air beams. I sampled a Morpho 1P (seen in my avatar pic) and have to say I think poles are stronger.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Ray – although you mention it briefly, how does this compare to the FC2?

Well written review – the introduction was great.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I'm not a member so was not able to read the review. don't know if it was positive or negative.

But here is my review based on in store setup only.
    (I am a big fan of Nemo and own their Gogo which I love).

One of my criteria for tents is ease of setup in the middle of the night when you are dead tired.

Espri failed this test miserably on the floor of an REI store in broad daylight.

Another criteria is adhering to the KISS rule.
    I tend to break things that are breakable, and Espri has way to much Razzmataz that can easily be broken or prematurely worn out. Nemo has added complication to this tent just to try and be different and inovative. These features add a delicateness and complexity to the tent that will not survive my brutality for long.

for me the decision was an easy no, given the stiff price.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Great review Ray, and I appreciate the playful writing style. It has a place right up with the more scientific reviews.

A note, we call it dissociative identity disorder nowdays.

Art, could you be more specific as to your critiques?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

David U, They are very different tents. The FC2 is much smaller in packed size and room set up. The Espri shows it roots in how tough it is. Nemo's 4-season background shows, and I of course used it that way. ;-)

Art, you really should read the review. It contradicts many of your in-store guesses.

David C, thanks. I had a lot of fun writing this one and am happy to see it go over well. (I hate being dry.) And yes, a nurse friend told me I used the wrong term.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Dave its been a month and I only set it up once so the specifics are overwhelmed by the memory of a bad experience, but I'll try :

1. I recall the poles not being interchangeable, i.e. certain poles had to go in certain places. they apparently were color coded but barely distinguishable from one another. I did not know this when I began assembly and put them in the wrong places till the store employee helped me out – if you need to read a manual before setting up a tent its too complicated (try this at night).

2. the way the poles went in to the tent base was cool but something that could easily break. some sort of a plastic clip in, can't remember the exact design.

3. the way the fly clipped in to the base of the tent, again an unnecessary innovation, kinda cool but complex and breakable. I worried I might step on them and break them in the dark.

4. Zip in vestibule – this seems really cool at home, interchangeability to fit your needs in the field – until that super long zipper goes tragically wrong in the field, at exactly the wrong time.

I went in to the store Wanting to like this tent, it just didn't happen.

A gadget type person might like this tent.
    someone going fast and light, wanting a minimum of problems and hassles, I don't think so.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I really liked their airbeam tents, but Nemo has chronic problems designing decent doors :(

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

>…We can even cook inside the vestibule, praying "Dear God, don’t let it burn down"

Nice!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools