Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail – Base Weight (oz) Gear List minus Pack Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tahoe Rim Trail – Base Weight (oz) Gear List minus Pack Weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Drew

@vtaduck

Locale: Sespe Wilderness

I will be going up to Tahoe next week and thought I’d run my gear list by the experts. This is a ‘formal meet and greet’ with some new gear, but in the bigger picture this is my first practice run for the PCT in 2011. The main question I have is pack selection for thru hiking. I currently have an older silnylon version of GG Mariposa, it has seen better days but has done a great job. I definitely want something more durable and am considering the GG Mariposa Plus or Gorilla, GoLite Jam, SMD Swift’10 or MLD Exodus.
    I anticipate a skin-out weight of between 25-35 pounds depending on water and food.

Based on my gear list I’d love to hear your opinions on appropriate packs and my list in general. In my time lurking here you folks on the BPL boards have been an unbelievable resource for me and I thank you!

BTW, let me have it… I take critique pretty well :)

The List!
    Clothing Packed ( w/ Silnylon Stuff, 25.43 oz)
    GoLite Ether Wind Shirt – 4.0
    Montane Featherlite Wind Pants – 4.37
    Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket – 7.47
    Cheap-ass Poncho – 2.57
    InSport Skullcap – .85
    Polypro Gloves – .99
    Injinji Socks (spare) – 2.22
    Fleece Sleeping Socks – 1.90
    Mosquito Headnet – .60

Sleep System (44.03 oz)
    MYOG Down Quilt – 21.0
    TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy – 7.09
    Kooka Bay Inflatable Pad – 10.23
    Kooka Bay Inflatable Pillow – 1.31
    Zpacks Hexamid Tarp w Stakes – 4.4

Cooking and Water (9.09)
    Zelph’s Stoveworks Stove + Windscreen – 1.38
    20 oz Fuel Bottle – .80
    MYOG Heineken Pot – 1.16
    3L Platy – 1.30
    1L Soda Bottles (2) – 2.90
    OP Sack – 1.55

Ditty Bag (w/ Silnylon Stuff, 18.02 oz)
    Petzl-e+LITE – .99
    Swiss Army Classic – .74
    Adventure Medical UL .3 First Aid Kit – 2.40
    2oz Dr. Bronner’s – .74
    Aqua Mira Drops – .95
    Bic Mini Lighter – .39
    Exotac Nanostriker – .63
    Sanitary Trowel – 1.94
    TP in Ziplock – 2.70
    iPhone in Aloksak – 5.01
    Spare Batteries – 1.18

Total = 96.57 oz or 6 lb .56 oz

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Hey Eric,

I'm doing the PCT as well in 2011. I was actually just up on the Tahoe Rim Trail as well a few weeks ago. Are you from Tahoe or near Tahoe? It'd be cool to maybe get together and run over lists and even get a training hike in here and there.

As for your list, here's my input, take it as you like, I'm no expert, but I'm gleaning what I can from all the great lists on here, plus my own experience.

The List!
    Clothing Packed ( w/ Silnylon Stuff, 25.43 oz)
    Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket – 7.47 (Wow…thats lighter than Patagonias)

Sleep System (44.03 oz)
    MYOG Down Quilt – 21.0 (WELL DONE!)
    Kooka Bay Inflatable Pad – 10.23 (Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest CUT TORSO LENGTH: 6.2)
    Kooka Bay Inflatable Pillow – 1.31 (I USE A CLOTHES SACK, DUAL USE)

Cooking and Water (9.09)
    Zelph’s Stoveworks Stove + Windscreen – 1.38 (CAN STOVE .5 OZ. / TIN FOIL WINDSCREEN .5 OZ)
    20 oz Fuel Bottle – .80
    MYOG Heineken Pot – 1.16 (GREAT)
    3L Platy – 1.30m (A 2L BOTTLE IS 1.72 OZ. – A TOUCH HEAVIER, MORE WATER IF YOU CARRY TWO, FREE)
    1L Soda Bottles (2) – 2.90
    OP Sack – 1.55

Ditty Bag (w/ Silnylon Stuff, 18.02 oz)
    Petzl-e+LITE – .99 (GREAT)
    Swiss Army Classic – .74 (GREAT)
    Exotac Nanostriker – .63 (AS A BACKUP? I'D GO WITH 2nd BIC TUCKED AWAY)
    iPhone in Aloksak – 5.01 (Consider a Just Mobile GumPro USB to recharge. Uses batteries and converts the energy to a USB plug-in for the iPhone to draw from. That way you don't always have to hunt down a spare outlet)

Nice list, Eric. I'd just look at your sleeping pad mostly, and the pillow. Possibly your stove set up. You could go lighter on that. But what you have now, I mean, you're talking mere ounces, so it may not even be worth it to switch it out.

I'll be posting mine up soon, still working on it. :)

Eric Drew

@vtaduck

Thanks for suggestions Dug. I am actually heading up this weekend due to some work related delays (grumple)and still working on the quilt. My first 2011 PCT contact, awsome! Unfortunately I am south of Tahoe in Ventura, CA but we can deffinately keep in touch regarding gear, etc…

Regarding the list… This will actually be my first time trying out an inflatable pad. My last few trips I've been using my standard GG Nightlight Torso pad, but have been waking up with sore hips and lower back. We'll see how it goes. As far as the pillow goes, I just don't know if I'll have enough clothes not being worn at night to fill a stuff sack…

Thanks again, I'll check out the usb charger. Been looking for something that'll give me some juice on the trail. There are some new interesting solar and kenetic options as well.

Look forward to your list!

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

What trail head will you be heading out from? When I went last time, I took Spooner, just up a few miles from the Nevada side of Tahoe. When I was up the weather was awesome. Desolation was really snowy, with lots of fresh, but Tahoe Rim from Spooner was clear and beautiful. The only snow I saw was on the opposite side of the lake!

As for the gear, I hear you on the pillow aspect of using your stuff sack. It's something I'm going to be looking at when I get out for my colder pre-PCT hikes to test the set-up. I may even go crazy and…don't quote me on this, but…bring an extra layer! No! Just for the pillow/having something cleaner to wear every now and then. But we'll see.

The sleeping pad is something I am looking at as well…I'm a side sleeper usually, but for the PCT I may try my back, so I can elevate my feet every night and let the blood flow back out. Side sleeping, my left hip especially likes to get sore. I'm thinking of doubling up a Therm-A-Rest closed cell foam pad, instead of just cutting it in half and leaving one part. I may want both, but doubled for more pad.

I'm originally from Santa barbara, so I know Ventura well! Spent many many days out surfing C-Street/Fairgrounds, and catching live shows at the Ventura Theater. Love Ventura.

I started a blog for my PCT hike if you want to check it out, I'm adding to the gear lists, etc, mostly for the people who are going to be following my trek. What's the reaction from friends/family on your decision to do it?

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Eric Drew

@vtaduck

Small world Dug, I know all those areas well. Been to a lot of shows at the SB Bowl and like to visit State Street as well, Opal is one of our favorite resauraunts its next to the Arlington Theater.

I'm leaving from Tahoe City, thinking about going counter clockwise to visit any PCTers left passing through the area.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Sounds like fun, have a great time. That'll be us next year. :)

I know Opal, really nice place. I used to live just down Anapamu (by the museum of art & the State & A restaraunt), a little ways from the Arlington and also just up from the County Bowl. I miss it!

Sometime between now and then we should go grab a beer at the Brew Co. before the PCT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools