Topic

Thrift Store Finds – Brooks Running Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thrift Store Finds – Brooks Running Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

I'm not ready to drop $50+ on a pair of nylon pants and I prefer to recycle clothing, so I've been searching at thrift stores for a pair of lightweights that I can wear in the warmer months. Last night I found a pair made by Brooks that are very light and made from ripstop. So, if you happen to be searching for light windpants, it might be worth searching for running brands such as Brooks, New Balance, Asics, Saucony, etc. rather than Adidas or Nike. The latter brands are easier to come by, but most are heavy, insulated, and usually well worn.

And for other thrift store ideas, I've found that you can get some very nice silk and finely woven merino shirts in the men's dress sections. You don't always have to look for "outdoor" brands to get quality fabrics. I even found a silk shirt that's big enough to repurpose into a pair of sleep pants!

What other things do you look for at thrift stores?

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

Best find ever for me was a older(60s or 70s) Singer sewing machine for $20.
    DIY projects, clothing and equipment mods, and repairs.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

7oz vintage windshirt for $5…had never been worn as inspected by tag still in chest pocket and dwr still going strong. this is the snap one with fleece collar.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I look for vintage 50/50 blend cotton/poly shirts, they're super breathable, dry fast, and very light, especially the 80's era threadbare variety, these make excellent shirts for trail running, hiking, etc. Plus i'm not concerned if they get worn out, embers, dirty, or if I have an emergency and need to remove a sleeve since I've invested little.

I also look for thin western snap button cowboy shirts, preferably cotton. These are cheap, dry fast, and breathable.

No one, seriously, almost no one in my community owns brand name outdoor gear, let alone donates it to the thrift store. I typically have to do the online sale or gear swap thing for deals.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools