Topic

Tenkara for someone new to fly fishing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara for someone new to fly fishing?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Locale: Bay Area

I've never fly-fished, other than whipping around a rod about 12 years ago, with no understanding of what I was doing.

At this point I'm interested in learning to fly fish, and I like the idea of the lightness and simplicity of Tenkara. I'd like to minimize the financial output (though understanding I'll need a rod plus some kit).

What are thoughts on kit for a total novice with an interest in backpacking? I want the setup to be useful for larger streams as well – should I go with a typical length, ~11 or 12'?

How does one learn the technique? I live in the Bay Area and I know there are places to take lessons, but most (if not all) are for traditional (reel) fly fishing. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at rods here: http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Tenkara-Rods.htm
    as an inexpensive way to try out the sport/gear.

I wish I know people already involved in the sport! Thanks for your help.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

TenkaraUSA is in San Francisco, you might want to contact them about local lessons, outings etc. I would ask over on their forums for advice and meetups:
    http://www.tenkarausa.com/

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hi Simon,
    In choosing a Tenakra rod, your skill level matters less than the type of fishing you'll be doing. All the Tenkara USA rods are easy to learn to cast. But what kind of fishing are you doing? Small streams with smaller fish? Larger streams with larger fish? Can we assume you're going after trout?

Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Hi Jason,

I'm not entirely sure what kind of fishing I intend to do. i'd like my setup to be fairly versatile: capable of coming backpacking with me (in and around Yosemite), but also in places closer and easier to get to. Not sure how large the rivers get around here that are worth fishing in.

The BPL/Tenkara Hane rod is quite short compared to the other Tenkara rods, which must be for tiny mountain streams. I'd like my gear to be worthy of larger rivers as well.

Chris Stewart

@cm_stewart

The Tenkara USA 12' Iwana is a good all-around rod. You could use it in most places where tenkara is a reasonable method (that's most places!). The Iwana is also a known quantity – a lot of people have them and like them. The All Fishing Buy rods are relatively new. I've tried one, and although it will do the job, the Tenkara USA rods are nicer. You do get what you pay for. Also, the 6:4 action, which is what I would recommend for an all-around rod is backordered at All Fishing Buy. For reviews of all the rods, see my TenkaraBum site.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Don't do it! I quit fishing of any kind several years ago, and was perfectly happy. All the talk of flyfishing on this site, particularly that brought on by the interest in Tenkara, got me started back in the spring. A couple of grand on rods, reels, waders, gear, flies, etc…. and I sort of wish I had never… :)

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Simon,
    PM or email me and I can give you more advice on which Tenkara rod might be good for you. There are a lot of choices and if you're new to it, it can be a little confusing.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I might be in touch with you about that also, later this summer. Which means that at this rate, I'll be all ready to give fly fishing a try just as the season ends. Sigh.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Rakesh,
    There is no season for fly fishing once you get addicted!

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Good… that means that it's not too late to get a Tenkara rod ;)

Since I have no fly fishing experience, I don't have any idea as to which one I should be looking at purchasing to get started.

Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

I bought what must have been one of the last 12', 6:4 rods from AllFishingBuy, along with some line and tippet. I asked the guy at Leland Fly Fishing in downtown SF to pick out 10 "all around" flies for me. I went with the AllFishingBuy rod, knowing that it would likely be of lower quality, because this is my very first foray into the sport, and I know there is always opportunity to buy more gear later. Besides, it doesn't make sense to spend more money on a nicer rod when it might not even be the right rod for me. I'm surprised this wasn't anyone's advice.

Once my gear arrives I plan to head to the Golden Gate Casting ponds for perhaps a lesson and definitely some practice.

I bought and read the "curtis creak manifesto" – an illustrated fly fishing primer. Great book – visuals are quite helpful, along with the pared, choice words of the author.

Looking forward to getting some practice, and hopefully finding some experienced, wiser teachers to show me the ropes.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

I just picked up another rod. Got a yamame and some flies from jason.

But Im a little confused. I thought the Yamame was a 7:3 and what I got was a Yamame 6:4

Jason: both your site and the tenkara site says 7:3

Any Idea

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Hi Andy,

Sorry, I thought I had already replied to this but now realize I didn't. The Yamame was originally classified as a 6:4 and was later reclassified as a 7:3. There was a transition period where some of the rods were still labeled as 6:3 but the Yamame has always been a 7:3. So, even though your rod says "6:4", it's actually a 7:3. It's just mislabeled. I apologize for the confusion and for not answering this earlier. If you have any questions, feel free to call me directly: 303-803-2740. I'd be happy to clarify further if need be. How do you like the rod?

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

You did get back to me. Thanks.

Also caught a bunch of trout in RMNP.

Got more use out of the ebira also.

trout 1
    trout2
    trout3
    trout4
    trout4trout5

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Nice looking stream!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools