Topic

Breathable Waders

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Breathable Waders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Larry Tullis
    BPL Member

@larrytullis

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Although not counted as typical UL gear, I consider my lightweight breathable chest waders to be essencial equipment on trips around water. Multiple uses are:

1-As waders for fishing/float tubing.
    2-As lower part of rain gear.
    3-As bivouac outerwear (insulated inside).
    4-To wade to fresh campsites seldom used by land based hikers.
    5-For hiking in rainy, bogy, puddled trails and fording streams.
    6-Hiking down streams/canyoneering.
    7-Rolled into a bag and used as a pillow
    8-Wade right into the stream to wash dishes or filter water
    9-Sit in shallow water to cool down on hot day without getting soaked.
    10-Adds 15 deg. f. warmpth and waterproofness to clothing.
    11-For getting into or out of watercraft easily, without worrying about getting wet.

Sage and Dan Bailey’s etc. have waterproof/breathable waders that weigh under 1 pound. Wear with old hiking shoes or water shoes on feet.

Anyone else use waders as part of their UL gear? Any other uses?

Bryan Redd

@lucylab

Larry,

Good points on lightweight waders. While I love my G3 waders, they are a bit heavy to be carrying around on a backpacking flyfishing trip. So, I’ve been considering buying a light weight pair.

BTW, are you the Larry Tullis who is a guide and author? If so, I’ve learned quite a bit from your writings. And, I enjoyed the references and photos of you in Martin Carincross’s fine book.

Cheers,

Justin Gunn

@biggunn-1

One of my first backcountry forays was a fly-fishing trail camp deep in the Gros Ventre Wilderness of Wyoming outside of Jackson. Since shelter, sleep systems, and food were provided already, we could afford to pack along a few more toys for the 10 mile hike into the camp.

Since we were fly fishing, we brought nylon stocking waders and Teva sandles. I loved the feeling of walking through water, very fun. Of course, the sandles and waders must have weighted 3 pounds. Eventually, though, they did suffer punctures caused while hiking around the rivers.

A good pair of lightweight waders that could withstand a bit of bushwhacking would be terrific, but you still have to add a lightweight water shoe if you don’t want to constantly have wet footwear. Or is there another way to resolve the issue of additional footwear?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools