Topic

$35 Epic milspec jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals $35 Epic milspec jacket

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-us-military-surplus-nylon-waterproof-windproof-jacket?a=1907904

Bought one on a tip from a friend.  The fabric certainly appears very similar to that use in the Multicam WIld Things windshirt, which is good stuff.  This one (made by Beyond Clothing) has far better detailing; a nice athletic fit, longish sleeves with velcro cuffs, and a big hood with side cinch cords and a back cinch.  Aside from the zip down to close chest pocket the detailing is pretty much flawless.

10 oz for a medium.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good tip, David.

How is the sizing? Milspec stuff  is usually on the large side.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Sizing is in line with “conventional” outdoor gear.  A medium, my usual size, fits over a baselayer and trim cut 300 weight fleece comfortably but with no room to space.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Dave, what’s the fit like compared to your size medium alpine start? Also, how would you rate the hood fit quality? I’ve had bad luck with zip in collar hoods. Thanks for the heads up.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

These jackets are pretty nest.  If they are like Beyond they will be pretty close to waterproof but have a CFM of like 0.5 probably.  I tried an M4 and it really did not breath at all.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

A little more room in the torso, sleeves quite a bit (~1.5″) longer.  Longer drop tail.

In my book the hood is excellent, not quite helmet compatible, but big.  More than enough room for multiple hats and hoods along with my big melon.  Cinches down and does not impede peripheral vision at all.  Back draw cord is perfectly placed.  It is rather bulky when rolled and zipped into the collar.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Lots of neat milsurp on that site. Magnesium-framed snowshoes!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

0.5 cfm wouldn’t be that breathable… Noeshell is 0.5 cfm and has a HH 10,000, unless epic fabrics also have a HH around that?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

It’s more breathable than a WPB, but not a huge amount.  XC skied with it for 3 hours in ~30 degree conditions and had plenty of moisture on the inside by the end.  Not a replacement for something like an Alpine Start or Boreas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools