Topic

San Juans Weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips San Juans Weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My brother and I are heading into the San Juans (Wimenuche Wilderness) either tomorrow or the next day. I'm familiar with Colorado weather but I've never done much in the San Juans and keep hearing about the "August Monsoons." Should I be expecting more rain than the typical afternoon thunderstorms?

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

Afternoon showers are about it. Anytime after 12 noon they can hit, and potentially last for several hours. Monsoon season is definitely here and I expect that you'll get hit by a few of those. Get your hiking to exposed, high elevation areas done before noon if possible to avoid lightning danger.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Thanks for the tip. With most of the CDT being high elevation this could be interesting – have to stay flexible I guess.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools