Topic

Partial list for GNP 100 miler

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Partial list for GNP 100 miler

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

GNP fooood

This is the food I'm taking for a 100 mile loop I'll be doing in Glacier National Park tomorrow and Saturday (and maybe a bit on Sunday morning if I run out of daylight). Food choices reflect high intensity. I'm cooking on a Ti Wing stove with a BPL Trappers mug.

The loop begins the ends at the Camas entrance to the park. 11 miles of road riding to Apgar, get my permit, hop on the shuttle. Hike over Fifty Mtn from the Loop, down to the Waterton River, do a bit of floating to Goat Haunt. Hike up and over passes, down to Kintla, float the North Fork Flathead back to the truck.

11 miles cycling, ~60 miles hiking, ~30 miles floating. 2+ days.

I've got a 2 lb sleep system (synthetic quilt, Montbell bivy, cutdown ridgerest), ice axe, packraft, paddle, and trekking poles (oi!). Minimal clothes and a single 1/2 liter water bottle.

Will report back.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Dang. There are just some days I wish I was someone else. (Temporarily).

Sounds awesome, and have fun!

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

David – sounds like an awesome trip you've got planned. Definitely will be looking forward to the details and one of your typical great video trip reports.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Dave, glad to see this went from the "planning to do" stage to the "doing this tomorrow" phase.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I'm calling it the North Fork 100 for the moment. I woke up this morning and knew I just had to go backpacking. Weather has been just awesome lately.

Clothing taken:

Light synthetic t-shirt
    Longsleeve midweight synthetic baselayer
    Patagonia Ultra shorts
    Patagonia boxer briefs
    Arc-teryx Alpha SL pullover
    Montane Featherlite pants
    Smartwool beanie
    Smartwool socks (1 pair only)
    Montrail CTC shoes (stiffer sole good for kicking steps up Boulder pass)

Packing for the summer is so easy! I do need a bigger pack than my homemade one, with the packraft and paddle this summer light and fast load takes up as much or more space than a five day spring/fall trip sans raft.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

David, is this a trip that you're just "winging," or do you have reservations and all of that stuff?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Travis, no reservations. Not necessarily winging it, just checking the backcountry camping bulletin (http://www.nps.gov/archive/glac/whatsnew/bcres/bcbul.htm) to see what is available. I was hoping to stay at Lake Francis, based on Sam's recommendation, but as that is taken I'll likely end up at Janet or Hawksbill instead. The bulletin is a great resource, check it the night before and be first in line and you're all but guaranteed to get what you want. Being able to hike 20+ mile days gives you pretty good choices, too.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Very cool! Living so far away, I have to have reservations 8 months out just to get a shot at it!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

The trip was a success, and very fun to boot. I had absolutely perfect weather, too hot, really. With cooler weather I would've wanted more clothing for insurance while sitting in a boat for three hours. As it was, I got to kick back and lounge in shorts and a t-shirt.

The food was good. I came back with three bars uneaten, which convenient though they are, always seem to end up being the least appetizing thing, especially in the heat.

Video in Trip Reports soon.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools