Topic

Looking for a hike recomendation in San Gabriels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Looking for a hike recomendation in San Gabriels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

Hi all,

I've finally convinced my girlfriend to go on an over-nighter with me this week during her only two days off. I've got all the gear (been waiting for this day) and we're both ready to hit the trail.

Only problem is, I still haven't decided on a trail! :X Seeing as its her first time backpacking (not hiking), I'd like to make it special, and probably a bit easier than the stuff I'm usually doing.

I was thinking about the bridge to nowhere trail because its beautiful, provides water for us to filter, and is a realatively short hike, but I've never done this hike so it would be a first time for both of us, which I'm not against at all because it makes it that much more special. Anywho… To make a long story short, I'm looking for a trail that fits the bill and I'm wondering if any of you in the area know of the perfect spot. :)

Closer the better, cheaper the better (meaning if you dont need permits, etc).

I appreciate your help!

Cheers!

-James

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

That's just the hike I'd suggest. Be aware that for an absolute beginner, there may be some spots that might be a little scary for her – the last time I was there (a few years ago) there was at least one spot where the trail was kinda sketchy.

The great thing is that there is water!!!

G Foster McLachlan

@hunter13

Locale: NYS

Consider parking at Islip Saddle and hiking to Little Jimmy. YOu get some elevation(much cooler weather),water, and an easy hike to MT Islip and/or trail along to Baden Powell. This time of year it will be boiling along east fork of Gabriel River. And we are currently in a heat wave too this week.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Thanks a lot for the insight. As far as fear is concerned, she's pretty tough so I think she'll be alright. She doesn't have a fear of heights and she hasn't gotten scared on any of the other day-hikes we've been on.

That islip trip sounds really fun, however from what it sounds like, the elevation gain and intense climb might be a little too much for her with a pack right now, but its something we'll work up to! :) Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it!

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

How about up Santa Anita canyon from Chantry flats? You can do the hike to Sturtevant Falls and visit Sturtevant camp and then stay overnight at Hoegee's… it's pretty easy.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

I appreciate all the info guys! Some great hikes :)

I'll definitely be hitting up all of those soon. My girlfriend and I have decided to go with the bridge to nowhere afterall so we're planning for that.

I have another quick question though, is there a special adventure pass I need for an overnighter? If I just buy a single adventure pass and scratch off both days do you think that would be alright? I know that the normal adventure pass is good until 10AM the next day and I figure we will be back to the car around noon. What do you guys think?

G Foster McLachlan

@hunter13

Locale: NYS

Islip to little jimmy is a beginners hike. its like 2 miles and not much elevation gain. Day hike the other peaks. you are going to roast out there wish you luck. Its known to be a spring hike. You've been warned. They give tickets out regulary its just if the ranger beats you to the lot. One pass per day- its a crap shoot.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

None of the high country up HWY 2 is open yet due to the Station Fire. Chantry and the San Gabriel River are open.

You don't need a special adventure pass for overnights.
    If yours expires by 10am and you do get a ticket, it's not an issue. I've received at least 6 of them and never paid- they're not enforced, not recorded with the DMV, etc. If you get a ticket and are worried about it, you simply have to buy an adventure pass and send in the number to clear it.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

James,
    I recently went up to Fish Creek in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. I know it's a bit farther than you're looking for but I gotta tell ya, it's beautiful right now. 5.5 miles to the saddle, starts at 8100 and goes to 9800, beautiful alpine views, a fresh spring nearby. It's definitely my favorite hike nearby now. I took my wife and since we took the whole day it turned out to be a good workout but really comfortable if you take plenty of breaks. Free permit, 1.5 hr drive from San Dimas, Highly recommended. Have a great time, wherever you go!

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Thanks for the advice on that.

Hopefully it's not TOO hot, just hot enough to make the water worth dipping the feet in :) I think we can deal with the heat though, I'm a desert kind of guy and she likes to pile on the sunscreen lol

As for the hike in gorgonio, that sounds awesome! I wish I had all the time in the world so I could camp all of these spots, oh wait… I do! So I'll definitely get to them. I've actually got gorgonio my list for later this month before my Whitney hike.

Anyways, thanks again everyone! expect a trail report soon :)

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Maybe take a look at Ice House canyon above Mt. Baldy village, it is a long way to Desert View at Ice House Saddle but one can turn around anywhere along the creek.
    At one time there was a bronze plaque about halfway up the canyon on a sugar pine with a poem written by a vision impaired hermit that lived up that way. Don't hold me to the facts but inquire at the ranger station and they might be able to point you towards it.
    The other hike that comes to mind is the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek with a warefall about 2 miles up and a continuation to IceHouase Saddle. It is a very pretty canyon.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

The poem on the plaque is no longer in Ice House Canyon but with the family of the man who wrote it.
    He wasn't vision impaired but hearing impaired from a childhood bout of measles.
    A friendly reminder stirred my few remaining brain cells into firing in the correct order, my apologies for incorrect information.
    The Cucamonga Wilderness contains some splendid hikes and some of the most difficult terrain I've ever tackled, choose wisely.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools