Topic

SHORT NOTICE – Emigrant Wilderness Trip 7/17 and 7/18

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SHORT NOTICE – Emigrant Wilderness Trip 7/17 and 7/18

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Is anyone interested in a short trip out of Kennedy Meadows this Saturday (7-17) and returning Sunday afternoon? The destination is series of lakes above tree line near Granite Dome. Iceland Lake, Ridge Lake, Sardella Lake, Lewis Lakes and Black Hawk Lake are all within a mile of each other and supposed to be great fishing, including Golden Trout.

It looks to be about 9 miles each way with a little bit of cross country for fun. I have not hiked the trail so my knowledge is limited.

Sorry for the short notice but when my wife tells me she is going to be out of town for the weekend, I feel the need to seize the opportunity. I hope others can join. All are welcome.

ridge lake Picture of Ridge Lake off of Google Earth

David

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Dave, my wife and I are thinking about heading up this weekend. The mileage might be just a bit too much for her. Anything less and we would like to go. Plus for me, I am coming off a back injury and this weekend is to test out the back. 4-5 miles each way would be more for me.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Hey Ken,

Let me know if you decide to head up to Emigrant. Do you have a trailhead/camp destination in mind? I have been eying this hike to Granite Dome for a while but I am open to other ideas.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Hey Dave, we have decided to go the following weekend. I have a 3 day weekend and we felt that was a better weekend to head up. If you are interested in the following weekend let me know

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Ken,

Thanks for the invite but I offered to give two gents from the east coast a ride from the Fresno Airport to the Roads End Trailhead. Have a great trip!

I made it up to Emigrant this weekend but I didn't get to the trailhead till 3pm on Saturday. After I passed Relief Reservoir it was getting dark and I approached a stream crossing which required finding the better way across. While searching I stumbled on a few nice campsites. Rather than push hard I decided to stop and take in the scenery, leaving the lakes below Granite Dome for a future trip.
    kmKennedy Meadows

rm
    Above campsite adjacent to creek

llama Llama packers

The night was almost warm enough so that used my sleeping bag as a blanket to partially cover me. On the walk out I fished the Middle Fork of the Stanislaus. I caught and released a small rainbow and called it a trip.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

I am going back up to the Kennedy Meadows trailhead this weekend and heading to the lakes near Granite Dome (Lewis, Ridge, Sardella, etc.). I may camp near the trailhead Friday night or alternatively leave from Modesto Saturday morning. All are welcome to join. Is anyone interested?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools