Topic

Stealth-camping, Palenville, Catskills NY?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Stealth-camping, Palenville, Catskills NY?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Locale: New England

Hi, All:

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with where the Long Path traverses Route 23A at Palenville, in the Catskills, NY?

My pals and me are going to be hiking through Kaaterskill Forest, and on to the Devil's Path for a couple of days, but we're taking public transportation from NYC, and as a result of bus schedules think it best to get down to the trail head the night before we set out.

Do any of you know this patch of grass? Is there a suitable spot for a quick camp in off the road, heading south? Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be getting there on or after sunset, so it'll be a bit tricky. We really want to avoid the state winnebago-friendly campground a mile or so to the north.

Thanks!

Tim.

Dan Stanko

@dinsdale

Locale: Loozerville,USA

You can camp anywhere as long as you are 150' from the trail and 150' from water,below 3500'.

When you first head in there off Malden Rd? Ave?;thats private property for a couple hundred yards.After that the land to the East is private just off the trail but you are good anywhere on the West.

Been kinda dry here and hotter than average,water has been OK in the Slide area….you should be OK up there;but I wouldn't hesitate to fill up when it presents itself.

I hunt on the East side of the that trail,but more on the Platte Clove end.Haven't come in from Palenville in a couple years and don't remember whats down in there for camp sites.

I'm supposed to meet a client up to Haines Falls on Wed. of this week.Maybe I'll take a quick walk with the dog and see what's up.

Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Thanks, Dan!

This is really good info, nonetheless. We're going out on Thursday. If you do manage to swing by this part of the world on Wednesday, and were able to get back to me, that'd be such a great help.

All the best,

Tim.

Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

PS: Yes, it is the Malden Rd. trail head :-)

Dan Stanko

@dinsdale

Locale: Loozerville,USA

Took a walk in the rain this morning;The bus I have seen stop either at the end of Malden Ave. on 32A or up just a tad farther at the 32A and 23A intersection;try and ask to get off at a little restaurant there that sells bus tickets on 32A and just walk up the road.From Malden trailhead to the first legal camping spot is about 1/2 hr walk its all on clear logging gravel rd almost the whole way but the last 100 yds on stateland.

32A and Malden,white building sells bus tickets;
    End of rd on 32a

Here is trail head up this drive way there is a trail sign and arrow to the right when in just 40yds or so.This will be on your left as you walk up Malden Ave.
    Trailhead

Follow the logging rd and you will come to this gate;go around on the left;if you have the NY/NJ trail map this is just at the top of the horseshoe the trail makes shown on private land;
    Private gate

Another 1/3 mile all up hill the trail proper starts splitting to the right.There is a house father on you can see the metal roof from the logging road,look for this sign,easy to spot;
    start of stateland trail
    Just another 75 yds from that juncture is a old logging rd to the right.Good level and dry spot to setup.There is a marker of three logs to the left of the trail on the ground.
    marker
    right where the dog is is the logging rd to the right,you cant miss these rocks they will be the first little ledges you hit;she is at that 3 log marker;
    100 yds in on to stateland
    Here is that rd just a 50 yds in is nice and level,good spot for a few shelters;
    old road

Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Dan, this is above and beyond the call of duty :-)

Thanks so much for this invaluable info! Exactly what we need.

All the very best to you.

Tim.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools