Topic

Clothing list for cold weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Clothing list for cold weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John A

@medic

Basically I'm putting together gear for a trip this fall on the SHT and am looking for feedback on warmth (is what I have enough, etc…) Plan on being out for two weeks.

I can expect temperatures possibly as high as the mid 70s during the day, and potentially down to the mid/low 20s at night.

Underwear-
    Boxers: Ex Officio 2x 3.5 oz/ea
    Socks: Smartwool light hiker 2x 2.25oz/pair

Pants-
    LL bean convertible pants 11.875 oz
    synthetic long john bottoms 9.125 oz

Tops-
    GoLite short sleeve t-shirt (warm weather base/sleep) 4.75 oz
    EMS Technowick long sleeve (cold weather base) 5.75 oz
    Smartwool 250 long sleeve top (mid insulating layer) 9.5 oz
    Marmot DriClime Windshirt (cold outer layer) 10 oz

Misc-
    Marmot PreCip hat (rain and cold) 2.5 oz
    The Packa (rain/ VB outer) 13 oz
    Fleece balaclava 3 oz

Sleep system is a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15* down bag with a Big Agnes insulated air core pad (short/mummy) in a Contrail.

Thoughts?

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

I think I would be cold with that list.
    you need a puffy layer then you can ditch one of the long sleeve shirts.
    I would pick up on of the eddie bower down jackets that are on pretty good sale right now. Or some other puffy layer.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

you need more insulation…down or primaloft depending on how wet it will be. one layer, a 15oz down jacket and a windshirt will keep you warmer than you think. i would ditch the marmot driclime and replace with down/primaloft. Packa works as a substitute.

montbell alpine light (warmer)or a thermawrap (lighter) would be my go to. or patagonia down sweater. or get the red eddie bauer first ascent on sale.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I agree–get a puffy jacket and ditch the Smartwool. Just be sure to keep the jacket dry! That gives you two layers (t-shirt and warmer top base layer) to wear while you're moving, which even close to freezing should be enough (you don't want to sweat!). Also, there are much lighter windshirts that weigh 3-4 oz. which would be far more versatile than the Marmot DriClime. I'm perpetually amazed at how warm my 3-oz. windshirt is! Or, as suggested, just use the Packa to keep the wind off.

Gloves weren't mentioned; at least get a pair of thin liner gloves so you can do camp chores without having to take them off–better than thicker gloves or mittens which are not warmer when you have to keep removing them, lol!

I'd also ditch one of the boxer shorts. If, as a female, I can get by with the underpants I'm wearing (also Ex-Officio, I love them) for 10 days, you certainly can. If they need to be washed out, pick a warm dry day and go without while they're drying on the outside of your pack.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Personally, I'd add a thick wool sweater from the thrift store or a down jacket.

From what I've read, it's likely you'll be cold with that pad. Think about bringing a torso foam pad too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools