Topic

Pedernales State Park — July 2 & 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Pedernales State Park — July 2 & 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

A friend and I took a quick over night trip to Pedernales State Park in the Texas Hill Country last weekend. This was his first backpacking trip and my first trip using poles. We had a great time and the poles were amazing. I should have believed the hype sooner.

Our trip started by hastily seem sealing Roberts tarp the night before since he had forgotten to do it. The next day we saw some rain but were actually expecting quite a bit. We visited the falls and then hike Wolf Mountain Trail while getting misted on the whole day. Temperatures were nice and it seems the weather scared the mosquitoes back into hiding. We couldn't have timed the trip better weather wise.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket]

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A spider near our campsite. We ate supper together.

Photobucket

We took a rest near this old house wall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rob's first pitch of his JRB 8×8 tarp.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My ID 5×8 tarp.

Photobucket

This was our "couch" for the night.

Photobucket

A close up of my pack and cheap poles.

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

Looks like a great trip. Nice pics too.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Pedernales Falls State Park is a great place in the fall and winter when it's not so hot. I think it would be possible to do a 24 from Houston…

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

By "24" do you mean an out and back in a day from Houston? I think I can do without that much driving and hiking in one day.

As it stands I drove out Thursday night and stayed at Robs place, we hiked around the park for a while Friday, camped, hiked out, then grilled steaks Sat. night. Doesn't get much better than that.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I was thinking more of driving out early in the morning, backpacking, then driving back the next morning, so I guess it would be a bit longer than 24 hours…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools