Topic

Heat diffuser

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heat diffuser

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel webster

@bob88

Has anyone used these with uncoated titanium to work with their limits of heat being concentrated in one spot?

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've tried heat diffusers (like the one supplied with the Outback Oven), and they do work well in preventing hot spots on uncoated Ti pots, and the resulting stuck spots. After experimenting a bit, however, I realized that my non-stick Al pot alone weighed less than my Ti pot plus heat diffuser. In addition, since the Al pot is so very easy to clean, I prefer it over Ti if I am going to do some real cooking that involves simmering, or longer cooking. While the diffuser did work well, it was another thing to take, and it did impact the stability of my pot on the stove.
    Jim

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It sounds like your heat diffuser is too heavy. I made one out of a scrap piece of titanium foil, and it weighs just a few grams.

–B.G.–

California Packrafting
    BPL Member

@unnamedpeaks

The Bunsen burner wire gauze works. It’s heavy.

Titanium foil won’t work that well…it’s just more titanium.

a .1mm piece of copper foil works perfectly. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32846449941.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dP58n81

Also, you can season titanium in the oven just like you would cast iron pan. Works perfectly and creates a non stick surface. (avocado oil rubbed on (THIN) with paper towel, place pan upside down in oven on 500 for an hour, repeat many times to build up a layer of non stick surface)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools