Topic

refrigerate after opening.. summer sausage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition refrigerate after opening.. summer sausage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dont Wantto

@longhiker

Summer sausage packs I see on Amazon (for eg: the Jack Links brand) has the words "Refrigerate after opening".

I need them for 5 – 6 day trips .. I was wondering if a pack opened would stay for 5 – 6 days (summer in the rockies) or if the makers aren't merely being paranoid.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I had some the othe other day that did not say refrigerate after opening and it was fine over a two day hike. I had the same brand and it looked a bit funny after 4 days so I didn't eat it.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I always carry some summer sausage. As you know, in almost all stores, it is displayed on an unrefrigerated rack. It also has a "best by" date stamped somewhere (often readable) on the package. Many say "Refrigerate After Opening".

Cured sausage is an ancient method of preserving meats when they didn't have electric refrigerators. So, there is a lot of history to it.

I buy small packages of sausage, 6 ounces or 8 ounces or up to 12 ounces. I plan to eat the entire sausage in less than two days after opening, and keep the sausage in a clean plastic zip bag after opening.

So, on a five day trip I can carry as many as three (3) small sausages, according to this plan. Try to get different brands/flavors if you can.

A butcher told me, off the record, that these sausages are so loaded with preservatives, that they should be fine for several days if kept clean, and if there is a good period left before the "best by" or "Use By" date.

I would not recommend storing these refrigerated past the use by dates. You can feel the texture change sometimes, and eventually they will smell bad.

I've used summer sausages this way for almost 10 years now.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Summer sausage keeps quite a long time unrefrigerated. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have had open sausage 3 days or so with little to no change.

Sodium Nitrate kills off botulism bacteria.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I buy various types of meat sausages in tiny 1-oz or 2-oz sizes. That way, one is consumed for each meal and no packages are stored open.

And then there is Trout Pate.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools