Topic

Trailrunners on Wonderland?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trailrunners on Wonderland?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

Hi,

Considering sporting some trailrunners on the Wonderland Trail this August. I have no experience with the trail condition here and am stuck deciding if trailrunners are appropriate.

Yes, several reporters here said they did it with trailrunners.

They did it in 5-6 days and did 93 miles or so.

I'm doing it in 9 days including the Northern Loop, (clockwise we miss mystic lake to berkeley). This added length and duration might be a factor.

Really though, I'd like to know what the trail is like. I'm used to the Adirondacks, and it's trail conditions i'd equate to either strewn basketballs or muddy bog.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

We did the Wonderland Trail in low-cut lightweight hiking shoes a few years ago in Aug (Merrell Mesa Ventilator II, called something else now). At the time they were pretty lightweight, perhaps not any more.

Anyway, if you are used to the Adirondacks then the Wonderland Trail should be a piece of cake. Before the floods it had well-graded wide trails, not particularly steep or rocky, no boulder hopping or slab climbing, nothing like the steep muddy/rocky bushwhacks of the Adirondacks. I imagine it's pretty much the same again.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Totally doable. In August it is nice for the hot days. Almost all of Rainier's creeks and rivers are bridged and much is on soft dirt duff. While there is some snow crossing by August it is well defined and not hard to do.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

no prob at all.
    that trail is a highway

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

thanks for the insight.

I appreciate it.

I'm excited to give the trailrunners the starting job here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools