Topic

ti windscreen/wood stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ti windscreen/wood stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I did this some time ago, but today fixed the last thing that was bugging me- attaching the two ends of the screen- I was using paper clips and it was OK, but not ideal- today I simply bent a section on each end and they slip into each other- easy-schmeasy :)

anywho bought a little ti Esbit stove and determined quickly it needed a windscreen rather badly, purchased some Ti foil from tigoat and built a small screen

decided w/ the addition of four holes and two tarp stakes I could have a wood stove to boot- works like a charm- I can use it w/ my 700, 600 or 450 mug- the screen nests nicely in the mug

I cut a small round bottom piece to use when I'm burning wood

the two piece together weigh 0.8 oz

Photobucket

esbit mode

Photobucket

wood mode

Photobucket

happy mode :)

Photobucket

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When in woodburning mode, can you feed more wood while the mug is in position, or do you have to remove the mug?

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

there is a room to feed wood, you have to be a little careful obviously (not liking throwing a log on the fire :) )

I rarely have to add wood though, as it seems like it doesn't take too much to get the smaller pots/mugs to boil

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> I was using paper clips and it was OK, but not ideal- today I simply bent a section on each end

Forming what is, essentially, a lap-fell joint? Yes, that's a simple and effective joint.

I've been using slot & tab joints for this purpose for years, both in windshields and in drinks can burner inner walls.

Have a look at this (rather blurry) picture of such a joint in a cone clone:

caldera clone for MSR Titan

The upper tab is folded in, and the lower tab is folded out. It's better if they're the other way around, to keep the upper tab outside, and thus out of the flame. Won't matter for Ti, but is beneficial with aluminium.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that looks good

I guess it might be a lap-fell joint :) it does hold very nicely

here it is

Photobucket

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I am able to form my titanium foil into a crude joint this way, but I would like to find a tool that would allow for something cleaner. Any suggestions?

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

mine looks a little rough as I folded it at first twice as long as it should have been- I had to unfold and then refold

I was surprised how easy it was to fold as the stuff is very springy- as long as you have the fold in the right place (unlike my first attempt :) ), use a straight edge and fold over w/ a pair of pliers- it should be very straight/clean

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

My limited experience suggests that we should be careful when folding Ti like this, as it seems to embrittle and fracture very easily.

I make folds like this by using a triple-thickness shim of scrap, and folding around this to form a less severe radius edge to the fold.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that's a good idea :)

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Mike,
    That,s cool. I want to make one. I have a cone and windscreen I made from aluminum but I'd like to use Ti. What grade and thickness would anyone recomend. Also, Mike, where did you get that lid for your SP600?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The two sources for Ti foil that I know of are:

0.003" – http://www.suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P5%20Ti%20Sheet.html

0.005" – http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

I've got the 0.003" stuff from Suluk46 and that's working well for me. Ti is more springy than aluminum, so if you are careful you can roll up a windscreen really small and still have it pop back into shape without any signs of folding or crinkling.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The 0.005" titanium from Titanium Goat works well. You can actually cut it with ordinary scissors, yet it has good springy strength.

–B.G.–

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

my Ti was sourced from TiGoat as well- appears to be a good balance between weight and strength

the lid is from four dog stoves, Jason Klass (member here) was selling them- now they are offered direct from four dog stoves- I just recently purchased a Ti lid from them for my 450 mug- wonderful workmanship

the little wood knob (removable if you don't like it) really works great- I can lift the lid off w/ my bare hands as the wood doesn't conduct much heat at all. the knob also always the lid to be hung off the side of the mug/pot I've got a third one for my 900 pot as well :)

I know he has lids for almost all the SnowPeak mugs/pots, but I think he also has them for others as well

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

"the lid is from four dog stoves"

I checked out Four Dogs. They don't advertise pot lids. Is this something you have to request? How much was it?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Just e-mail Don and request your lid. He'll reply promptly. He charged me $12/lid, which included shipping. You can get your lid with or without strainer holes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools