Topic

convert monopod into tripod?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear convert monopod into tripod?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rick Beaty

@reeock

Locale: New England

I have a brunton trekking staff/monopod, anyone have any ideas on how to convert it into a tripod? I cant justify bringing a tripod with my dslr(WHICH IS HEAVY ENOUGH) but know Ill wish i had one.

Will Webster

@willweb

You could lash a couple of sticks (hiking poles, tent poles, or found) to the monopod, but you'll have to add a good ballhead to level the camera. If you don't need the elevation provided by a monopod, consider a beanbag support using a stuff sack loosely filled with found materials.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is my solution to that. adds zero weight and costs nothing.
    However nobody seems to like the idea….
    Improvised tripod

The heavier your pack, the more stable it is. Add a rock or whatever for ballast.
    Franco

Will Webster

@willweb

Looks workable for a P&S as shown, but I wouldn't put one of my DSLRs on top of that rig.

Stuart Allie

@stuart-allie

Locale: Australia

Franco, you're slipping, you only got a portion of your cat into this photo. He/she will be most annoyed… :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

My cats are older and slower now. That picture is a few years old.

My suggestion was a "work in progress" type of an idea not THE way to do it since I have no clue of what the weight of that DSLR is and neither what that pole can hold with or without a ball head.
    However I am assuming that we are not talking about a 5 pound camera.
    It also depend a lot on the weight of the pack, but the idea is to use the pack as mobile ballast (cause you already have it with you…) then somehow attach that pole to it.
    Three guylines in place will do the job up to two pounds or so. My video camera is 26 oz , more weight than the Ultrapod is designed for.
    Something like this
    Something like this too

The "guylines" could remain attached to strategic places on the pack and three pegs carried in the top pocket or somhere handy.
    Adding two legs and attaching those on the go isn't going to be faster, but try it anyway…

Another way, this time is extra weight and money, is to carry a lighter tripod and add ballast to that.
    Like this :
    Tripod trick

Franco

Will Webster

@willweb

The guylines idea is brilliant. I'll have to try that out with my gear for the Grand Canyon in the fall. I usually carry a Fuji P&S; my "ultralight" DSLR kit is 37 oz (Canon XTi + Tamron 17-50/2.8). I'll need to add a lightweight ballhead such as the RRS BH25
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BH-25&eq=&Tp=
    and figure out a way to attach it to a C3 pole – or hope my wife wants to use the single pole with the tripod screw under the handle instead of a pair of poles.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I carry a small Gitzo 921 tripod with head at about 1.33 pounds /w center post removed for my Nikon D700 with Tamron 28-75mm or small prime. It is low but works. I have given a little thought to making a tripod by using two or three GG lightreks with some Gitzo parts. Pack one leg with base and head while using the other shafts for poles when hiking. The other thought is to cut two legs of a carbon tripod and make sleeves for attachment for either trekking poles or tripod. Not sure if it would be a bad compromise or the best of both worlds but it would be expensive.

Rick Beaty

@reeock

Locale: New England

franco, youre making me think I could prob just guy out the monopod itself……..any input?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Any input ?
    Yes, try it , but not with a camera on top (unless it is already broken)
    The idea of the pack is just to provide a base to attach the tripod too.
    As shown on the first shot ,depending on the weight of the camera and the weight in your pack, that might be enough.
    Having the "monopod" low (trekking pole collapsed) helps and there is no need for a lot of shots for the extra height.
    The higher the "monopod" and the heavier the camera, the more weight you need at the bottom and/or more secure guylines.
    BTW, this is not exactly an original idea, but since most don't get it , this is an example of it :
    Ballast at the bottom

Franco

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools