Topic

First Look: Osprey Hornet 46

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Look: Osprey Hornet 46

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 76 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

what kind of weight range did your Hornet have? Specifically, does it have a lower range than the Exos of comparable sizes (if you have experience with both)? On the osprey site, they literally use the same graph to describe the recommended carrying limits of both backpacks, but it seems like the Exos should have a greater comfort range because of its frame.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I've received a production version 46 and (from memory) here are the differences I noticed:

* A collar extension of about 2.5 inches (accounting for the volume increase to the 46L spec). This is the significant change, and a welcome one.
    * Different diecut scheme to the shoulder strap foam. Now, even holier.
    * Replacement of the two plastic webbing anchors at the top of backpanel with webbing lash points.

All pockets are as before. Beyond the above, minor fabric color differences is about it. The prototype's shiraz red is now more of a nebbilio ;-)

Cheers,

Rick

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Daniel,

I just got a Hornet 46 in the mail today, so I don't have much experience with the pack in the field. But, from a first look, as you would expect I think the Exos has a higher weight-carrying capacity than the Hornet. The Hornet has a pretty stiff, 1/2" thick foam back pad, as well as two vertical rods connected to the waist belt, so it carries better than your average frameless pack. But the Exos has much more vertical rigidity with the full steel hoop and mesh back panel. The Exos also has a more substantial waist belt with wider webbing and bigger wings.

From loading it up with water and walking around for a few hours, I would say the Hornet can comfortably carry 20 lbs and the limit would be about 25, whereas the Exos can comfortably carry 25 and the limit would be somewhere north of 30 lbs.

Andrew

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Andrew,

Thank you very much for the info! very helpful.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

received mine today and like many of the previous posters noticed that the torso length on the M/L is not overly long (nor adj like the Talon series)

I'm 6' and torso of 20.5-21"- I'm clearly at the very end of the torso range, I can see why all the 6'+ guys were dissatisfied w/ the length, my old Exos 46 in large was longer

weight was within a tenth or two of advertised (actually came in under :))- I saw a few previous folks mention that is was an unframed pack w/ a stiff pad for suspension, there are actually two vertical delrin rods that run on the outside of the pad (maybe this wasn't on the proto pack????)

I like the top lid compartment and it's easily removable if unwanted, loading the main bag up all the way up however is somewhat problematic as the lid doesn't have any adjustment (like the exos had) to lengthen out.

I like the elastic stuff it pocket that most osprey packs come w/, I also like the numerous grosgrain loops so you can add your own shock cord if wanted. I also like the full length elastic side pockets- would be useful for longer items like tent poles, fishing pole, etc, but they also have a cutout in the middle so you can access a water bottle

hip belt pockets are a little smaller than were on the Exos, but still big enough to be useful

being looking forward to Spring to give it a go :)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Can anyone who has tried the Gorilla compare it with the current production model Hornet 46? They are about the same volume, at least on paper.

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

I was also disappointed by the torso length of the M/L. I'm 5'11" and even with the straps maxed out, it was still too short torso wise. I have an Exos 46 in large and its plenty big enough.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Benjamin, how long is your torso?

I have a M/L Talon 33, built on about the same harness as the Hornet 46, and I'm 6 ft with a 21 in. torso and it fits me fine.

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Honestly don't know my size. I usually fit things by trying on.
    My local backpacking store did use the Osprey measuring template on me once, but never told me the measurement, just told me which size of which packs fit.
    Perhaps its just that I have a long torso.
    Maybe I'll stop in when I'm in the area next weekend and have them re-measure to find my actual torso length.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

EJ- the Hornet has a fixed yoke, not adj like the Talon series, I'd say the fixed yoke on the Hornet is ~ equivalent to the middle position of the Talon M/L

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I too was surprised at the torso length on the Hornet. I solidly fit a S/M Exos 46, and ended up with a M/L Hornet. Don't know my torso length, but I am 5'11 as well.

I took it out two weekends ago for a 16 mile overnighter at Henry Coe. I was very pleased, my max load was 18 lbs and it carried extremely well. I was originally thinking I could only use this pack for 1-2 night trips, but I definitely want to try it out on my next week long trip. It has plenty of room for the extra food.

Andrew

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

I just got the s/m in the mail, and could immediately tell it was too short. I'm 5'5", and though I don't know my torso length, I'd assume it's <19 inches.

Next up, return this one and get a large when REI's 20% coupon comes out. Or patrol the gear swap for one furiously for weeks and weeks. Either of those will do.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I looked at the suspension on my Talon 22 (M/L) and have it pulled out to the third mark- it measures 22", the Hornet measured 19"

I also emailed Osprey to let them know that a wide % of the population would not be able to use the Hornet as configured- I suggested either lengthening the torso on both models, provide an adj torso (ala Talon) or come up w/ a S/M/L (ala Exos)

mine is currently on it's way to another member (w/ a shorter torso :))

<– back to the drawing board for me

David Ure

@familyguy

The Talon 22 doesn't have a suspension.

;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

true enough, but the 44 does and it uses the same adjustment method :)

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

My local outfitter emailed me this week to say he had the Hornet in stock, so of course I had to go over and try it on. First, it's a very nice little pack, well designed and executed. The back panel foam and the small rods provide some support — though nothing on the order of a ULA Ohm, for example.

However, the M/L size is woefully too short for my torso length. I have an M/L Osprey Kestrel 32, and with the adjustable shoulder harness I can get a very good fit, but the Hornet was just so small it was funny.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

got an email back from Osprey, no immediate plans to change anything- I directed them to this thread as there is some pretty good feedback for them to see

with the exception of a few little nit picky things, I have was very happy w/ this pack and am relatively certain it would have worked out just great for me…… if it fit :(

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for contacting them.

Same issues from reviewers over at Backpacker.com and Whiteblaze.net.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

As a former Exos 46 owner and current talon 22 owner, I have been keeping an eye on the Hornet as a possible next pack. My talon is on the longest setting, so it seems the Hornet would be too short for me.

It really seems like Osprey missed the boat on this one, considering they had testers reporting this issue before the final pack was released.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I also am a former Exos user- great pack, was just looking to shed a little weight w/ the Hornet

it probably wouldn't hurt for others that the Hornet didn't work out to send them a short email (or phone call)

[email protected]

866-284-7830

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Email sent.

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

I had my local backpacking store contact them on my behalf about the sizing, infact, they offered even before I asked.
    I'm glad others are running into this problem too, well I guess not glad, but more than it's not just me.
    Hopefully they will need how they missed the mark for a lot of users and come out with an additional size.

Viewing 22 posts - 76 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools