Topic

Backpacking/Hiking near SLC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking/Hiking near SLC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Just a quick question for those located near SLC – is there good backpacking near SLC, within 2 hrs or so? Of course there is Zion, Escalante, Yellowstone, etc., but I'm thinking more local, and hikable in the "shoulder seasons" (I'm guessing all that green stuff on the map to the east of the city is locked up until April or so?)

Thanks!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I used to live in SLC.
    Lots of places in the Wasatch and Uinta(Ashley) mountain areas.
    Parts of the Oker(spelling?) mountains can be nice.

You don't have to go far for great backpacking. You can even take public transportation to get to some areas now days.

Also, lots of good areas in Cache, Ogden and Logan areas.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

It doesn't really get any better than the mountains near SLC.

I have done winter trips in the area, mostly lower elevations, but it is winter/snow camping.
    When it starts getting cold, head down to the southern, lower elevation part of Utah. A bus ride can work.

Jay Campbell

@gohawks

Locale: SE Iowa

I've done an overnight trip to ensign Peak in the Stansbury Range, easy drive from SLC> I've also done Kings Peak in the Uinta's, another pretty easy trip from SLC. I day hiked to Lone Peak, which was awesome, and would make a nice short overnight trip. G

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

"I'm guessing all that green stuff on the map to the east of the city is locked up until April or so?"

Note that the high mountain areas (high Uintas) generally don't melt out until early July. You can go before then but it's hard to find trails that are under 10 feet of snow! The lower areas, of course, melt out earlier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools