Topic

40-Liter Waterproof Travel Bags for $3.55

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 40-Liter Waterproof Travel Bags for $3.55

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

http://www.meritline.com/40-liter-dry-bag-font-colorredcolor-randomfont—p-41364.aspx?source=s2010

dont work there and have no idea about quality, but for 3.55 free shipping I'm in for one. looks like velcro top and then normal roll top bag style.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I figured it is worth a shot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That was the quote by John Wilkes Booth in 1865.

–B.G.–

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

just got mine. looks like a great deal for $3.55

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Looks like a great deal for $3.55"

What does that really mean? Does it look/feel durable? What's the weight? Have you tested it — say filling it up and fully submerging it?

Inquiring minds would like to know… Thanks.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

it looks like a thin nylon (im not that savvy so just a guess.) weights about 2oz has full velcro top with buckles. i turned it inside out and filled it with water…some slight dripping from the seams (not really the seams because they are taped, coming from where the tape ends.) might be able to seam seal for better results. so not submersable, but would work in the rain i am guessing.

for 3.55 shipped, it is water proof enough for me. obviously, if your life depended on it, i would pay a bit more and get a real one, but for a recreational hiker/camper, they met my expectations at first glance/test.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, A Kramer, much more helpful.

Not every task requires full waterproofness — for certain uses, "highly water resistant" is good enough. Good to know where this one stands, so folks can choose accordingly.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

yesterday, i put two big cotton towels in the dry bag and took a 15 min shower with them on the bottom of the stall. all dry when i took them out. this bag is trail worthy for rain me thinks.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

QUESTIONS:

What are the L x W x H Dimensions?

What type of material do you ascertain the bag are made from?

What is the weight of one bag?

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Interesting. How durable do they seem, meaning abrasion and puncture resistant?

I'm going to be flying with my pack for the first time in a couple months, and I have to check it as I have trekking poles. I'm not renting a car so everything I bring comes on the trail with me, which rules out putting it inside a suitcase.

I was thinking of picking up some heavy grade 55 gallon garbage bags (1.0 mil gauge) and putting my pack inside of it and then using the bag as my dry sack(dual use) but for $3.55, maybe this would work if it was durable enough to survive baggage handling.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

per my previous post…nylon, 2oz, 40L

they seem to be a little heavier than those emergency ponchos.. like a 2.2M compactor bag with a little stretch.

Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

For $7 bucks. i'll gladly give them a shot. Thanks for the post. Eric

Hammock Hanger
    BPL Member

@travelpro

James, a heavy duty plastic bag (garden/leaf type) & maybe some free wrapping tape from the airline often is enough to protect a pack as checked airline luggage. Put the bag around the pack, make sure your name tag is clearly visible, then tape it up tight (bag is expendable).
    If the 40 liter thing doesn't work out, an ultra cheap nylon laundry bag from Wally World etc may be a reusable option. You can tape that too & reuse or not.

Airlines often have heavy duty clear plastic bags they use/make available to you free for oversized checked bags (ski gear, packs etc). Call and ask. You can get another free at the airport when you make your return flight home.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools